1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankee Fans: Morons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Andre Dawson was miles more popular than Grace, Sandberg, Dunston, or the spare that played third in that era.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thanks. And I don't even like the Yankees :D

Fail on my part on the Grove/Gomez thing. I always get those guys mixed up, which kind of proves my point about Gomez.
    And you're right, Nettles should've been in the Fan Favorites. Thought about him, then forgot to include him.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's true. Every poll is skewed toward the current player.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow... Excellent post...

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Very nicely done.

A couple of others for the Old-Timers role:

Tommy Heinrich: Nicknamed Old Reliable, had 183 HRs in 11 seasons, all with the team. He missed three years due to WWII.

Elston Howard: The first black Yankee, had some excellent years. Would have had more, but he lost time sitting behind Yogi.

Waite Hoyt: Hall of Fame pitcher for the Yanks in the 20s

Bobby Murcer: He could fit in as a Fan Favorite, only he really wouldn't break the top 5 in either the 70s, where he played before the title teams, or the 80s.

6. Mizzougrad96

Where would Winfield go?

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I think you have to take into account that the quality of play has improved since then (integration, better training/nutrition, etc). If Jeter in his prime was transported back to Yankee Stadium in the 1920s, he might not hit 60 homers but he'd probably be a Rogers Hornsby - a power hitter with multiple .400 seasons.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Please, for once in a Jeter-related discussion, get off your knees.

Ruth dominated his era. Gehric, Mantle and DiMaggio were also dominant players in their era. Jeter cannot make that claim. He was great, but not dominant, player on some great teams.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be true of almost any modern day all star? And if Babe Ruth had access to Barry Bond's advantages, not the PEDs, he'd have hit 914 HRs just by extending his career. Ruth might have been the first player to win 300 games and hit 500 HRs

10. Mizzougrad96

If he had played in the 1920s, Kevin Maas would have been like Lou Gehrig.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If OJ Simpson were alive and in London in 1888, he would have been Orenthal the Ripper

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I fully understand that Jeter hasn't dominated his generation of players to the extent of the 4 Yankees greats you mentioned. I probably should have added that I believe there are a couple dozen modern players that if placed in Yankee Stadium in the 20s would have put up Ruthian numbers.

I just wanted to make sure we acknowledge that the level of play has improved...heck, Jeter (with mixed ancestry) wouldn't have even been able to play alongside Ruth and Gehrig, or Dimaggio for much of his career.

Draft saved Draft deleted