1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankee Fans: Morons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Jul 29, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I'm keeping Jeter #3 all time behind Wagner and Ripken. Let's compare him to players that don't rank ahead of him as SSs because they switched positions - those players would be Robin Yount, Ernie Banks, and Alex Rodriguez.

ARod: Yes, I'll admit he would finish ahead of Jeter. This is a no-brainer.

Banks: Jeter can't match his peak from 1955-1960. But outside of those 6 years, Banks really doesn't have a lot left - he posted pretty much league average numbers from 1963-1971. Jeter was a better shortstop and also has had a better career than Banks.

Yount: His best years might've been better than Jeter's, and he got to 3142 hits. But over 900 of those hits came in his first 3 years (1974-1976) and his last 4 (1990-1993), when he was a below-average hitter. So, Jeter might not have a season as great as Yount's 1982 or hit for the power he did, but he hasn't had near as many bad season as Yount. Yount had 7 seasons with an OPS+ of under 100, Jeter has had only 2. I'll take Jeter's career.

I still rank Jeter ahead of 2/3 of the HOF (or HOF-level) players that moved from SS mid career.

Draft saved Draft deleted