1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ya'll can rag on Philly fans all you want ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beardpuller, Oct 30, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

... but we got this memo a while ago:

They are printing 175,000 more Daily News and Inquirers to put out this afternoon. If anyone calls or emails tell them to check back at their store this afternoon.

2. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

It also says something about newspapers. It's just not the same printing it on your home printer.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Once every 28 years someone might want to keep one... ;D

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

How many extra did they sell a week ago today? How many extra will they sell a week from today? If we're in the keepsake business, we're doing an even worse job than we are in the news & information business.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jesus, Joe do you have to piss on everything?

We know you're a bitter man who hates the business we're in. But your act gets real old, real fast.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What he said.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

That's exactly right -- in fact, local TV showed fans last night BRANDISHING COPIES OF THE 1980 "WE WIN" PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS. They were kinda yellow. But they still had 'em.
    And for Joe, according to the memos, we've been selling lots of extra papers all through the playoff run. Granted, now it's over -- or it will be after the special parade editions, and the joint Daily News-Inquirer quickie book -- but it isn't like people didn't want to read about this because of TV or the internet.
    I take some small solace in that.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I still have the Daily News from the '69 Mets and Hank Aaron breaking Ruth's record. Oh and 9-11, too.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

My old SE explained that these special editions actually hurt the paper economically. They cost more to print than you can sell them for and they usually don't result in actual circulation growth. But you gotta do it.

10. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Not trying to be negative, but SoCal is right, SpEds are big money losers. And 175,000 sounds very costly. You can't charge more for the ads, which pay for the production.
    And, yes, you must do them for the positive hit in the community, even if it doesn't net you a single new subscriber (which it won't).
    Good work, Philly papers. Here's hoping mgt. doesn't waive this in your face down the road when they want more cutbacks.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've got boxes of old newspapers and magazines commemorating one sporting or major American event going back almost 30 years. I think the oldest is my hometown sports page the day after The Miracle on Ice.

Hell, I've even got a set of all my high school newspapers from my senior year.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

PROTIP: Y'all.

Draft saved Draft deleted