1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yale singing group beaten

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 11, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No, it sounds like a trumped up non-story.

I'd venture a guess that 90 percent of bar/party fight calls end with no charges.

So it goes...

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

At first, I thought Yale had been on a winning streak for a couple years, or something.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Maybe I should have said "pummelled" in the headline.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That was one horribly written story. I don't know if the lede was buried or not because I gave up before ever finding the lede.

Gotta respect chippy a capella singing groups, though. Don't bring that crap to our house.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Heh, heh, heh.... you said "poofs"

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

"We don't want your kahnd around the Heights..."

And now let us consider SF circa 1968 opposite SF circa 2007...

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I really did think this was some acapella competition and their 19-year streak was broken or something.

Maybe "assaulted" or something, since you know, they were.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

-In the episode where Bart and Lisa write Itchy and Scratchy cartoons, one of the I&S writers is a Harvard alum who is abused and fired by the show's producer. Great moment: the producer calls the alum to make him sing "Fair Harvard", then throws a paperweight at his head, prompting him to say, "You, sir, have the boorish manners of a Yalie"

9. Songbird

More Simpsons Yalephenalia ...

Yale references:
    [7F10] Lionel Hutz mentions Yale in the list of schools he's attended. {je}
    [9F16] Roger Meyers Jr. has the boorish manners of a Yalie. {je}
    [2F02] Sideshow Bob is a Yalie. {je}
    [3F05] Burns is seen directing calesthenics in a Yale Varsity Sweater, couple that with the old time megaphone he is using and his slight physique, one can only conclude that, at one time, Mr. Burns was a coxswain for the Yale Varsity Crew Team. {jtv}
    [3F23] In Homer's new office is a picture of an 8 oared shell with the word Yale on it. {wk}
    [3F24] In Chili cook-off, Mr. Burns runs a booth called "Old Eliku's Yale Style Saltpeter Chili". {djw}
    [4F01] Burns has a skull in his book collection (Skull & Bones?).
    [4F05] Mr. Burns and Smithers are riding back from the Yale-Harvard football game in a Pullman Railway car. This is significant because, Cornelius Vanderbilt, founder of the Pullman Railway Company and the Vanderbilt family is a huge benefactor of the university. Oddly enough, Cornelius Vanderbilt had many of the same ogre-ish tendancies as Burns... he even looks like him. {jtv}
    [4F05] Mr. Burns tries to get persuade Yale officials to accept his boorish son.
    [4F11] John offers Homer the hat worn by Yale Summers in Daktari. {je}
    [4F16] Mr. Burns comment that Laddie has "the fine coat of a Yale Man" (a reference to the racoon skin coats worn by Yalies at the turn of the 1900's). Only after Mr. Burns shakes Laddie' s hand does he turn to Smithers and suggest that Laddie was in Skull & Bones (a reference to the supposed secret handshakes bonesmen use to identify one another). {jtv}
    [AABF17] Burns mentiones that someone "couldn't find ugly at a Radcliffe mixer", which is something you might expect a Yalie to say (Radcliffe being the "female Harvard"). {ddg}
    [FABF05] Book author says she she got her special to be a writer at a class at the "Y", Yale University.
    [GABF12] Eight years in the future:

* Lisa wins a Montgomery Burns Scholarship to go to Yale.
    * Mr. Burns had to set up the scholarship as punishment for stealing Christmas (which apparently he never returned).
    * Yale has forbidden male-oriented scienes and replaced them with courses such as "galgebra" and "femistry".
    * Mr. Burns gives the scholarship to layabout Bart instead.
    * McDonald's now owns Yale.

[GABF13] "Privileged Boy" song has the line "Then I will go to Yale because I am a legacy".
    [HABF08] Reality show mom is the youngest full professor at Yale.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I honestly thought this was going to be about the BOCA (Best of College Acapella) competition or something equally random.

When clearly the Brown Derbies are the group to beat...

11. Songbird

I hear the Trinity Whippoorills are top dogs of college singing.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As I said before, fuck with the Whiffenpoofs at your own peril.

They make the Van Buren boys look like sissies...

Draft saved Draft deleted