1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo's Wetzel hits nail on head about NCAA transfer rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's $3 million extra for the school. Durant didn't receive a penny of it.

Meanwhile, how much is the scholarship for Texas for one year? Maybe $50-75,000?

I'd say the school profited quite nicely.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Don't forget the increased TV appearances, NCAA appearance, increased ticket sales and increased concessions.

Texas had very little to do with him getting the $60M contract. He was already a big name and was going to be a top pick even if he had gone straight from HS.

Colleges/universities do very little to enhance the players' income, on the whole (there are exceptions for say UNC, Duke, Kansas).

Take OJ Mayo. He chose USC without even visiting. Think they helped him?

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I'm saying it. I like Wetzel. Yes, he does plug his books endlessly in his tagline, which I've always found tacky. But he has a ton of bylines each year and doesn't mind dropping the hammer. Sure, it's an obvious beef, but I've read way too many columns about the BCS that simply prevaricated too much for their own good. Wetzel hammers both sides (big schools and small schools) for their greed, which is more than most manage to infer.

Draft saved Draft deleted