1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo's Wetzel hits nail on head about NCAA transfer rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Durant should have been paid for his Nike contract while in college. If coaches can get paid for endorsements, why shouldn't the players as well?

If the NCAA wants to continue the amateurism sham, they should either make college sports all like the Ivy League or D-III or let the players earn whatever money they can get.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Another cool piece by Wetzel.
    Good reading.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm not sure I get this either.
    If the one year had been spent at UCLA, or Ohio State, or Florida, yeah, he'd still have gotten $60 million.
    But he went to Texas. So the $60 mil came from his one year at Texas. Is that hard to follow?

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Think Stanford didn't make bazillions for its connections to Cisco and Google?
    Same thing.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ok, I get where you're coming from now. I thought you were insinuating that if Durant doesn't get his scholarship from Texas in particular, he's not making $60 million. I agree no matter where he went he was going to get his money. And I think the schools that recruited him knew that, and knew what they were getting, which means the value of that scholarship to Durant, while having SOME value, was still a better deal for the school.

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

When the rules force Shannon/other coaches to sit out a year before moving on to his/their next gig, then he/they should be allowed to determine where a player can or can't go.

Until then, Shannon needs to STFU.

7. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

It would help a lot of poor kids who can't play football, but they can't play football.

8. Baron Scicluna

WFW.

As I've said in other threads on big-time college sports, it's going to take a Kevin Durant or another star player to take on the NCAA. Maybe if they cover up the logos on their jerseys, or something like that until they get paid directly by the sponsor.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I highly doubt Texas having Kevin Durant meant $60 million to the university.
    Not even winning the national title would have meant an extra 60 mil.
    Texas provided a pretty fair platform for Durant to expand his brand ... and that brand turned out to be worth $60 mil-plus. Again, how could the university have made out better in that bargain?

10. Baron Scicluna

By selling all those jerseys with Durant's number on them, but without his name, for one thing. It's just coincidental that the school would happen to be selling uniforms with a number similar to their star player, wouldn't it.

Plus, all the publicity that the school would receive, is worth a pretty penny.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

They'd have to move 1 million Durant jerseys at $60 per just to GROSS that much.
    I'd bet they didn't sell 50,000.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So would a lot of other scholarships, given to athletes, band members, cheerleaders, etc. Marve's scholarship isn't the only one that could help.

Draft saved Draft deleted