1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo's Jason King on Donovan, Grant, Pelphrey

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm biased because Jason King is a friend as well as someone I respect a ton as a journalist. So with full disclosure out of the way:

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201101/billy-donovans-secret-sorrow

Tremendous, touching story.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

wonderful piece. :'( :'( :'(

and i know jason not at all.

3. billikens

billikens Member

I think this showed up in my Twitter news stream about 30 times today. Very, very well done. I found it getting dusty here at the office a few times as I read.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Absolutely beautiful.

5. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

Great piece. I too got a little watery reading it. Excellent job.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Excellent piece.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I saw this on Twitter from a guy in the office and read it. Awesome stuff. Had me balling two or three times for personal reasons.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Setting the particulars aside - and it's heartbreaking and all that - how well do people think the story is written?

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I don't like how he breaks up some short quotes with the attribution (like “Our baby,” Grant says, “had no heartbeat.”) but otherwise I thought the writing was excellent. Did a nice job of letting the emotion of the story come through without dressing it up too much and making it forced.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's written in a very breezy, easy to read style that gets out of the way. The decision to break it up death-by-death helped that along.

It's not what William Nack (or any of the other great lyrical stylists and sports essayists) would have written. That said, it's well put together.

And really, really sad.

I'll say this: I thought the story was too Donovan-centric.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I didn't notice. Which in my eyes is a great sign. He got great material and let it do the work.
    Heard it at a seminar in 1988: Words won't bail you out. Material will. Get more material.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Wow, really wish I hadn't read that at work. That was incredible. Being the father of two boys, I can't imagine life without either of them.

And Alma, I thought it was well-written as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted