1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo -- Will This Work?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Nov 15, 2010.

1. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I remember when Yahoo hit 500 dollars a share.

I used it for as long as I could, but Google is sooooo much better at search that I had no choice but to abandon it. Bing is better, too.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

My experience has been that the line between professionals and amateurs has remained more clear than ever.
    This is harder to do than people think. There are talented writers out there who can turn a phrase and draw an audience, but they're not giving people anything beyond what a clever talk-show caller might. And there are people who can use numbers to try to make a point. And there are clowns.
    But the people who are providing real information and context to that information are pretty easy to identify.
    The question is whether there'll be a next generation of pros. The talent is there, but where will they work?

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Interesting take, Twob.

I think Yahoo's advantage over Google relates to fantasy sports and yahoo email. That's what I visit Yahoo's site for. And if I see a news story that interests me, I might click it while there.

But not having Yahoo crap show up in a Google news search? It's like dead to me.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone here would argue this point. The problem is that we can't be sure that today's readers care, or would even be willing or able to take the time and thought to recognize if they're getting context or analysis and the like, or not.

When I look at some of the crap that gets put up online just for the sake of doing it and getting it there, and getting it up fast and as soon as things are over, and when I look, especially, at the blow-by-blow, play-by-play game stuff that's put up while it's going on, I can hardly believe that anybody is taking the time to read that stuff and that it is worth the massive effort it takes to put out.

This is a legitimate question. Unfortunately, many of those types of journalists are no longer working in the business, having been chased out, or, if they are still working, they are being devalued, because readers' attention supposedly can't be held for more than five paragraphs and the vagaries of text/blog type technology dictate that brevity and the corresponding inherent lack of depth, clarity and perspective will prevail.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Here's a Bleacher Report example that has stupidity spilling out the sides:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/521188-clayton-kershaw-is-los-angeles-management-taking-advantage-of-the-dodgers-ace?utm_campaign=buzztap&utm_sourc

I bet there are thousands of people who read this and don't realize this clown is just another blogger.

6. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Lots of 'that' in there... kind of annoying.

Draft saved Draft deleted