1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo -- Will This Work?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

From USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2010-11-15-yahoonews15_ST_N.htm

And this little nugget:

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They already feature Associated Content garbage on their main page. I guess they're cutting out the middle man.

Actually, turns out they bought up AC a few months ago and are now rebranding it:

http://www.techrockies.com/associated-content-relauched-as-yahoo!-contributor-network/s-0032296.html

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Will it work...as what?

4. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

I have a friend who does this, and she is not happy with Yahoo.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you are an unknown young (or old) writer or photographer, this is a bad deal. Far better to try and establish your own site where there's at least a 10 million to one shot you'll get noticed, draw an audience and eventually get paid than to be part of the Yahoo content/sludge pile lumped in with 2000 people just like you.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It will work to further blur the line between professional journalists and bloggers.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

As a legitimate way people get news and information.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is Yahoo enough of a journalistic name for me to trust any news that some no-name might put on such a network? I doubt it. Far different from Yahoo's sports staff writers, who are largely known quantities from other media. Now, as a repository of different viewpoints and slices of life...maybe, if there's any degree of quality control.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Examiner.com?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

check to be sure nothing is plagiarized?

Those "checkers" are as reliable as spell check. Luggy and I cover the same game. She files first and her story is on the Web and says "Team 21 Beat Team Webby 21-7."

I file later and say, "to lead the 21s to a 21-7 victory over Team Webby."

It will get flagged.

I write "said 21 coach 21."

Someone else writes "21 coach 21 said"

It will get flagged.

There remain some things computers can't do as well as people.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Legitimate, accountable, reliable, accurate....would you turn to 400,000 unreviewed, unedited, unvetted reports by unknown and unaccountable contributors, or would you turn to one of the many brand-name news sources that already exist?

You know I wasn't picking on your headline, right? I just don't know what the goal is here. Feels like talk radio, where people call in because they get their big moment to be heard.

But glad to see the 21s beat the Webbys! At last!

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Don't worry, the standings will be locked to the way they were before the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted