1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo(!) Sports report on Tim Floyd/OJ Mayo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BRoth, May 13, 2009.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

My initial reaction is a bit stumped because it seems like this one guy, Louis Johnson, is just on a crusade to bury OJ Mayo. I understand why they weren't able to get other comments from authorities or USC, but it just seems strange they wouldn't include another source, saying anything. The only other quotes they have are from Johnson's attorneys, who naturally back up what he's saying and apparently were the ones to break the story to Yahoo(!) Sports in the first place.

They also include this, but I wouldn't really count it as much:
    “As you know, USC can’t comment on any issue that’s the subject of an ongoing NCAA and Pac-10 investigation,” USC general counsel Carol Mauch Amir said.

I know Yahoo(!)'s thing has been going after NCAA violations like this, but does this seem like a stretch?
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How can you expect to have any fun in Vegas with just $1,000?
  3. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

Wow, there's a lot of no-commenting in that piece (unlike Woj/Wetzel's UConn story for the same site). Have to think the story doesn't get written as a standalone, without the potential "lack of institutional control" charges against USC. But because that possibility is in play, it does make sense for Robinson and Cole -- the same guys who broke the Reggie Bush story, as I recall -- to follow up on it.
  4. sportsed

sportsed Member

Kelly Naqi's story, ironically a year ago to the day Yahoo came out with its story, reported those same numbers. I realize that there's money to be made in representing athletes in contract negotiations and sponsorship deals, but what's a realistic time frame for an agent to make back that kind of seed money? Since Mayo is rep'd by Leon Rose, I'm guessing that makes it harder to get a return on any alleged investment.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There are some details in there. I think it's a good story. It's a straight cash transaction and therefore isn't going to have the same paper trail as the ESPN revelations.
  6. Drip

Drip Active Member

The all you can eat special for $5.99. Beverage is extra.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Great column from Kurt Streeter on USC's troubles -- and their refusal to discuss it:

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Centenary is really fucked, isn't it?
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My problem with the column is that the NCAA investigation is still ongoing, and it seems like Streeter is using the 'No comment' policy as an excuse to rip USC.

Sure, it would be nice if USC decided to just discuss the investigation, but they don't want anyone saying anything that could A.) Get them in worse trouble or B.) Get themselves sued.

At this juncture, I don't mind if USC is giving a 'No comment'.

Now, if they are found guilty of these allegations, then they need to make themselves available to the media for any and all questions, no restrictions.
  10. Yeah, Cleveland State is going on probation for sure. :D
  11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Perhaps this will shed some light on the "no comment" and silence mentioned above.
    It's a piece by Paul Pringle and was packaged with Streeter. May put Streeter in better context:
  12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Has been ever since Robert Parish left
Draft saved Draft deleted