1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo! Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Aug 1, 2011.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's the new name of Sporting News Radio.

Does anyone know if the radio network paid Yahoo to license the name, or did Yahoo pay for this to get exposure?

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So The Sporting News brand no longer means much?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I thought Sporting News was affiliated with AOL. Isn't that what killed FanHouse?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Video killed the radio star.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Here's the release about it.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/94489/sporting-news-radio-now-yahoo-sports-radio

Also, a nice read of how ESPN's big competitor is ... Yahoo.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/how-yahoo-sports-became-espns-biggest-competitor.php

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The Sporting News has lent their name to a chain of sports bars. There's one where I am, in a dodgy area near the interstate. Maybe I'll wait until it becomes Yahoo! Sports Bar and Grille before going.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I understand that we're in a new media landscape, but television still drives the engine for ESPN, along with a very strong assist from dot-com.

8. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Exactly but the point that the blog makes is that Yahoo is in position to challenge ESPN in the next 20-30 years as media shifts from television delivery to ondemand on the internet. I am not sure if he is correct, but he makes a good point that trying to be the "next ESPN" is a waste of time and resources. ESPN already won the sports on TV battle over the last 20 years. The smartest media companies will position themselves to win the "Sports on the internet" battle that will come in the next 20 years. Yahoo is doing that.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So happy to find Steve Czaban there. I hope Fox Sports Radio still rues the day they released him for Screamin' A.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. ESPN3 is adding programming all the time and has an amazingly broad stable of programming. IIRC Yahoo has little in the way of video content. To legitimately challenge ESPN they'd need to link up with someone else -- Comcast, for example, except Comcast would never do it -- who has that programming available.

Draft saved Draft deleted