1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo! Sports: Iverson retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I never said he wasn't a first-ballot HOFer. I think he'll end up there, if on merits alone - the scoring titles the MVP, et cetera. I can understand why people vouch for the guy; a lot of people are attracted by players who can score at will, even if it's 20 feet and in. I just don't like his style of play. At all. I think he's a high-volume gunner who really doesn't have winning at all costs in his interest. As a result, yeah, he gets his points and he can get to the line and the fact that this is a dude who is 6-feet averaging 30 points on 33-35 shots per game is kinda cool. But he's subpar in other facets of the game, and with all the ego baggage, I just don't think he's worth the trouble.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So you think he's a first-ballot HOFer, but also that he's always been overrated? Sweet.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I think he'll be voted in based on merits alone. The fact that I think he's been overrated - because people are enamored with points and individual accomplishments - is why he'll be a first-ballot HOFer. Just because I think he'll get in doesn't mean I think he deserves it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

Fair enough. I still think you're way off base, but whatever.

I suppose you hate him as much as I like him, so ...it is what it is, I guess.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yeah. I mean, I really understand why people like him. It's just my opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong at all; I'm just trying to explain my side and why I may not see him in the same light others do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Den he's not nearly as subpar in other facets of the game that you make him out to be

7. JackReacher

Iverson could be playing as early as Monday -- against the Nuggets, per ESPN.com.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Iverson was tough on defense. He lead the league is steals three times, but he was a gunner.

A career 31% shooter from the three point area was still taking well over four a game for most of his career. He lead the league in scoring while shooting .398 from the floor. To me, that's a gunner.

Was being a gunner bad for his team? I don't know. He did take them to an NBA Finals and the season he shot .398, they did make the playoffs.

Would his team have been better if he took five less shots a game and made five more passes? I would say yes, but I think many people would say no.

Is he HOF? Without a doubt. Would I take Isiah Thomas over Iverson? In a heartbeat.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Philly made AI a non-guaranteed offer today. YahooSports tweeted that the theory among GMs is that Philly made the offer public and hopes AI refuses, so atleast they can say they tried.

I'm not sure how Iverson can't see the writing on the wall. The one team that could really, really use him at this point won't even offer a guaranteed deal.

10. 93 Devil,

For as much as I've dis-agreed with you on basketball, you're dead right on Thomas...he's by far the best little man to ever do it.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

As crazy as he is off the court, the guy won an NCAA, multiple NBA Titles and could hang 50 or 19 in a row any time he wanted.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I consider this a no-brainer. Are there actually people out there who would take Iverson over Isiah?

Draft saved Draft deleted