1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo sports is the best

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I didn't see a thread for this and hope that it is not a d_b.
    Anyway it's a very interesting read.
    http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_display/news/digital-downloads/broadband/e3ie2a94edbc5b0a7c1d191d60ab207bf12?imw=Y

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I credit...
    1. The breaking stories.
    2. The ease to load the page.
    3. My fantasy teams are all on Yahoo.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Honestly, and not to take anything away from the fine journalists at Yahoo (and there are quite a few), but No. 3 is reason No. 1.

They make a shit-ton of money and get a shit-ton of clicks off by hosting their fantasy sports leagues. They are as advertising is (used to be?) to the newspaper industry.

Everything else is just window dressing.

I can't remember the last time I actually clicked on Yahoo! looking to read a specific sports columnist. And they have some good ones. It just never crossed my mind to look there for, you know, writing.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I read Tim Brown and Gordon Edes all the time.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

ESPN is getting better with fantasy but yahoo has awesome fantasy football sites. Simple and easy to use. I've never had one problem.

I've been loving their college sports coverage too, although ESPN does some good work as well. Pat Forde and Ivan Maisel are good writers. I always read what they have to say.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Yahoo's fantasy is head and shoulders above the rest. Every year someone in one of my leagues wants to change because you have to pay for live stats, but every time we have tried another site it's been nothing but problems. Yahoo rules.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Yahoo also has an advantage simply because people use Yahoo for everything: email, stock prices, search engine, news ticker, etc. So they are more likely to stumble across Yahoo sports. No one goes to ESPN accidentally when they really wanted their email. If I was an advertiser targeting sports fans, I would use ESPN first simply because I know that the users are semi-devoted sports fans.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm still waiting for google to come out with a page that has their own news and sports. Once they get that, and fantasy football they will be close to taking over the world.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If Yahoo! sports was the best, it would be doing an updating box on the women's national title game like it did for the stupid fucking men's play-in game, instead it just has this information (updating score by half and no individual breakdown):

Louisville 17, Connecticut 23
    Preview - Box Score - Recap

1 2 Total
    (3) Louisville 17 0 17 7:52

(1) Connecticut 23 0 23 1st

PROBABLE STARTING LINEUPS

(3) LOUISVILLE (1) CONNECTICUT
    F ANGEL MCCOUGHTRY F RENEE MONTGOMERY
    F CANDYCE BINGHAM F MAYA MOORE
    F MONIQUE REID F TIFFANY HAYES
    C GWEN RUCKER C TINA CHARLES
    G DESEREE' BYRD G KALANA GREENE

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Good for you. Here's your cookie.

I'm just saying, even though they've got guys I used to read and like, I haven't really followed them to Yahoo!

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I do. Like the site, the reads, go there often. Would love to work there. Or anywhere, given the circumstances. Dave Morgan and others have done outstanding stuff there.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Then you're pretty slow because they're two of the very best in the baseball business and they've picked up similar editorial talent in the other sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted