1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo Sports: 9 and 11 year old hit back-to-back aces at TPC Sawgrass

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, Jul 16, 2008.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/golf_experts/post/Punk-kids-drill-back-to-back-aces-at-Sawgrass?urn=golf,94076

I used to hate running holes-in-one back in the day because everyone and their dog would hit an ace and demand that it be in the newspaper. This one seems interesting, though, in that they did it consecutively.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I never hit one, and my dog can't golf.

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Funny!
    I've never hit one, either. My dog, however, has hit one in each time zone. :p

It wasn't the fact so many people hit one that got old, it was their anger if their picture wasn't in the paper after hitting it. I tried being fair about it, but a lot of days there was just no room.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't believe it.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

I call "SHENANIGANS"

A friend of mine did hit two in the same round about 7 years ago.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

His dad is a PR guy or something or other for the PGA. Of course he's responsible for heartwarming news like this. Malarkey!

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yahoo didn't break this. They just linked to the Jax paper.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Why?

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My theory:
    Older brother knocks it in, like story says.
    Younger brother upset about it, big-wig Dad wants to make him happy so he tells jax paper they both knocked one in. Kids continue the lie, get photo and names in paper, now get national recognition.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Have we become this cynical? Dad works for the PGA Tour. I doubt he'd risk his job to make up this big a whopper, and have the kids in on it. And if the Tour will DQ a guy because of an obscure and inadvertent rule violation, they'd shit-can a suit for making this up.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Several years ago when I was at a small-town scrapbook, a local lady recorded an ace during the monthly little old ladies golf association tournament. I incorporated it into the writeup on the tourney, making it the second graf after the winner, who actually shot in the low 70s. I think the lady with the ace shot somewhere in the upper 80s.

Ace lady called up and was just "so disappointed" that I didn't make her first-ever hole-in-one a separate little story. I explained as nicely as I could that it got played better than a normal HIO brief would have been, but she still wasn't satisfied.

A few days later, her husband aces the same hole. I was able to foist it off on the No. 2 guy, who produced a nice little feature on the couple and kept the woman off my back until summer golf wound down.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

Draft saved Draft deleted