1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo! shake-up: Bartz fired as CEO

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Sep 6, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424053111904537404576555250572211010.html

And the e-mail she sent out to the staff:

To all,

I am very sad to tell you that I’ve just been fired over the phone by Yahoo’s Chairman of the Board. It has been my pleasure to work with all of you and I wish you only the best going forward.

Carol

Sent from my iPad

http://mashable.com/2011/09/06/carol-bartz-fired/

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What does Yahoo do again, because the next CEO needs to figure that out?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Better than being fired by text, I guess. Though it is ironic that the company that brought free email to the masses fires a big wig over the phone.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

She was making $50 million a year. She'll be OK even without the proper send-off.

Kind of the Andrew Dice Clay of CEOs. Made a fortune off a foul mouth until everyone realized there wasn't much else there.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So did she start the email, "Hickory, dickory dock..."

6. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Partly because I don't know and partly because I don't give a shit that I don't know and aren't ashamed to admit such, was she responsible for hiring Yahoo!'s bloggers?

Now, the Miami story a couple of weeks ago required a patient bulldog of a reporter, and it was nice to see some good, old-fashioned investigative journalism in this piece-of-shit new-world business of ours. I'll give Yahoo! the fact it has hired some fine writers to cover sports.

But those blogs are shit, absolute worthless piles of shit. I still find it hard to believe that people in this day and age settle for that crap, yet people do. So in that regard, good riddance.

7. LongTimeListener

Yep. CEO of one of the world's largest companies, one of the most powerful people in the business world, that's exactly what she's doing, figuring out who will cover the NBA on a daily basis. That's why she got fired in fact, it had nothing to do with losing revenue to Google and Facebook, it was because those blogs weren't entertaining enough.

(Open your window. There is an entire world economy that does not revolve around sportswriting.)

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Eggggg-actly.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

50 million a year? Seriously??

They can have me for 10 percent of that.

Last I heard, and it has been a couple of weeks, Yahoo! was on the verge of a rock the sports writing world move. Since I've heard nothing since, I'm wondering if the move is dead in the water. I'll have to nose around some because it would be a real "wow" if it happened.

50 mil a year? Jesus.

10. LongTimeListener

I was out of date -- she only got $12M last year. Had to be quite a lifestyle adjustment after she made $47M in 2009, her first year on the job.

She fleeced the Bay Area worse than Barry Zito.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Clearly, she wasn't motivated enough by the $48 million she earned in 2009 and just the $12 million she earned last year. She needed another tax cut.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Since Bartz is gone, who do I email my prep football gamer to. Bartz said she liked my. Work and there was a chance I could get hired on when they had an opening. I'm probably out of luck now and have to go back to Bleacher Report.

Draft saved Draft deleted