1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo says it will whack 2,000 from the payroll

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Apr 4, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the kind words -- here and in PMs. It's much appreciated.

It's actually a semi-good situation (as good as it can be under the circumstances). But in short, I'm still on staff for three months and if I stay through then, then there's a one-month bonus then basically a fourth-month severance package that includes benefits.

So there's time to see what's out there, either where I'm at or elsewhere.

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Just logging back in. Crap. I was hoping no messages meant good news.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Was he not breathing?

4. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Damn. So much for the relative "safety" of online journalism.

Best wishes, MileHigh.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

All the best to you, MileHigh.

6. yawho?

yawho? New Member

A few people were let go. I don't want to mention roles at the risk of outing MileHigh. This is on top of several who were quietly let go at the end of the year. The two add up to significant cuts. No cuts to the "leaders" who have bungled things so badly Ken Fuchs had to hire someone from outside to clean up their mess day-to-day newsroom leadership, of course.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've been outed on here for more than three years, dating to Feb 26, 2009. But I wasn't associated with Yahoo! Sports. And from the sounds of things, these cuts were made high up the food chain and just looking at where there was "overlap" and where on paper they felt cuts could be made. I'm at peace with it. I was more pissed three years ago. And the way I was treated and what the severance is, if they're going to do it, it could be a hell of a lot worse.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Still sorry to hear about this, MileHigh. But I have every confidence that you're going to land just fine. You have the skills, obviously.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Having been around long enough to remember the first purges of online folks in the 1990s, I'm not sure how to respond to this. Perhaps blue font was needed?

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Fuck. Me. I'm sorry to hear this, MH. Not that anyone deserves this, but you, of all people ...

PM forthcoming.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry MileHigh. Hang in there.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

You mean paying college kids $75 a week to not submit reports about their college football team via an FTP site didn't work?

Draft saved Draft deleted