1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo says it will whack 2,000 from the payroll

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Apr 4, 2012.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Anyone know the impact on writers we know?

http://marketday.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/04/11016383-yahoo-slashes-14-percent-of-its-workforce

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Considering recent departures and how small Yahoo's sports department is, I can't imagine they'd lose anybody.
    Have friends there. Hoping for the best.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Are you only speaking of the columnists (or Yahoo! Sports Experts, in their lingo)?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2,000 is a bit lower than expected. There were rumors about a month ago that layoffs would be in the "thousands," and this just barely qualifies. Sad but true.

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Still, it's 14 percent of the payroll. That's a significant haircut.

6. LongTimeListener

No question. Just noting that today's news is not "news" per se to the people of Yahoo, who are most affected. And there are also probably 2,000 people who will still have jobs when it's all said and done who were probably thinking they wouldn't have jobs.

That's the next round of cuts as Yahoo continues in the death spiral.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, it's a big hit. And for some, there's a transition period to where they are staying on for a few months, then some severance package. The cuts were certainly anticipated within the company -- but I was surprised I was one of the 2,000. Didn't think they would hit the editorial side where I work (and neither did my boss) since the new CEO has been stressing content.

8. LongTimeListener

I am sorry to hear that, MileHigh. One thing that seems true of all these larger companies is that the left hand and right hand don't know what each other is doing. I don't think the CEO was lying, but I also don't think his opinion made its way over to the bean-counters and operations folks.

I don't know if this represents another shrinking of the media world or if it just reflects that Yahoo is a poorly run company that is getting crowded out of the marketplace. My guess is the latter.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Definitely sorry to hear that, MileHigh. Is there a chance they bring you back on as a non-employee "contract" worker (which has happened to friends of mine who were laid off by tech entities before)?

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Geez, wasn't expecting to read this, and very sorry about it.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

SO so sorry, MileHigh...you don't deserve to go through this again. :(

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

So, sorry to hear this.

Draft saved Draft deleted