1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo! reports UConn violated recruiting rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 25, 2009.

1. I Digress

I Digress Guest

And you can have great college campuses/scenes in any number of surprising places.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Good points, all. I was pointing out that it seems unfair to assume Calhoun has to be cooking things to get recruits to come to Storrs. Now, it appears he was but, as I Digress pointed out, cool college towns crop up everywhere. My question about Boeheim could easily be asked of Tony Bennett in Pullman (moot point now). Or Stew Morrill in Logan. Or Scott Drew in Waco. Or Darrin Horn in Bowling Green.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Except all of the posts on this thread come from the starting point of the report that UConn did violate recruiting rules.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The other thing about Boeheim and Syracuse is that Syracuse sports and Syracuse basketball have more of a tradition than UConn does. Until relatively recently, with its football program getting bigger, UConn didn't have anything near the overall level of sports that Syracuse has had going to back to before Jim Brown. It still doesn't. You can trace Syracuse basketball being good back to at least Dave Bing in the 60s. Calhoun didn't walk into a program at UConn with anything near the same kind of tradition, when he took over. Plus, even though I believe that UConn basketball was one of the founding schools of the Big East, for years the program wasn't nearly as good as Syracuse and Georgetown, which were the main two powers in the conference. Also, Boeheim's roots with Syracuse are deep. Calhoun is a New England guy, but he wasn't raised on UConn basketball the way Boeheim was at Syracuse. Boeheim played for Syracuse and he was an assistant coach for years before taking over as head coach. And during that entire time during which Boeheim was involved with the program in one way or another, from the 60s and through the 70s and 80s until now, Syracuse had a national reputation and was making NCAA tournaments and sending players to the NBA. Calhoun has done wonders building up UConn's program in a relatively short time. But Boeheim took over a program that already had a strong reputation and tradition, which presumably makes recruiting easier.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Tradition means zip when it comes to 17-year-old blue-chip basketball recruits, IMO.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Jeff Goodman was on a radio show today, said that another chapter regarding UCONN and Ater Majok will be explored before the Final Four.

He said it could be more damaging than the first one.

Here is the link if you want to listen to the audio. Starts somewhere after the 2:30 mark.

http://audio.weei.com/m/22056139/jeff_goodman_weei_com.htm

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Majok declares for the draft, won't hire an agent, wants NBA feedback and intends to return to school, where's he's still not eligible until after the fall semester.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090423/ap_on_sp_co_ne/bkc_uconn_majok_1

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Coming back to this ...
    Per Woj (at his Joyce Symposium workshop on Tuesday morning), UConn ignored the FOIs until Yahoo's lawyers gave the school notice that they were filing a lawsuit, then grudgingly gave in. As noted in the story, he and Wetzel finally got their hands on that stack of phone records -- I forget how many pages he said they had to go through, but considering the "at least 1,565 phone and text communications with Nochimson, including 16 from head coach Jim Calhoun," it had to be a bunch -- 13 days before it ran.

And he still can't believe Moore didn't just deny everything.

(BTW, congrats to AW on being named this year's John Domino Award recipient. They couldn't have made a better choice, and it was obvious how much the honor meant to him.)

Draft saved Draft deleted