1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo! reports UConn violated recruiting rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 25, 2009.

1. This is also not UConn's first waltz with street agents, either.
    IIRC, Howie Dickenman was tied up with Rob Johnson back in the days when Johnson was running players in NYC.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hard to believe Howie's been at Central CT for as long as he has now. Saw one of their games at the end of the season--endless carping and barking on the bench.

3. DCguy

DCguy Member

I think it would be great if UConn hired Calipari. Calhoun's head would pop off.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Calipari would be pretty high on the list of guys you wouldn't hire right after getting hit with NCAA probation.

Not "Kelvin Sampson High", but pretty far up there.

5. DCguy

DCguy Member

Haha, yeah, I know. That was a joke. Calhoun hates Calipari from his days at UMass.

A serious answer to that question depends on when that happens. If this was a year or two ago, I'd say Dave Leitao and Karl Hobbs. But those guys are not getting anything in the Big East these days. Maybe George Blaney? He'd get tossed aside with Calhoun's staff if they are found guilty of wrongdoing.

In that case, who knows.

6. sabrefan

sabrefan Member

And then there's this. More kerosene for the fire.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news;_ylt=Aik1_GYG.TUKL.KhvgtnCAk5nYcB?slug=ys-uconnfolo032609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

You know, a lot of the talk on this thread (and in any conversation about how UConn got to where it is) centers around Calhoun's ability to recruit top-notch players to "a small town in the middle of nowhere." What about Jim Boeheim?

Syracuse is a LONG way from anything (by East-Coast standards, anyway; I'd think nothing of the four-hour drive to NYC), it's not the prettiest town in the world, and it snows a bit. However, the list of who's who at the 'Cuse reads like a hall of fame induction sheet. Granted, the Orange spent the 1992-93 season on probation (lost a scholarship, no postseason play), but do we really believe Boeheim's successfully covered his tracks for 16 years?

Really, the only thing UConn and Syracuse have going for them is being in the Big East.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't choose to live in Syracuse, and yeah it is cold and not an overly pretty city, but having spent time in both places, there is no comparison between Syracuse and Storrs. You are comparing a really small town in a depressed area (Storrs) with a city of at least 150,000 people (Syracuse) and when you add in the metropolitan Syracuse area, you are looking at what, a quarter of a million people? Plus the finger lakes area has its own charm that the region between Hartford (yuck) and Providence doesn't. There are plenty of schools with successful sports programs that are in areas less happening than Syracuse.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Flynn and Paul Harris are from Niagra Falls.

The Dome helps as well.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You just described 10 of the towns in the Big 12.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I hope Izzo hands it to Calhoun. Shows him you can win with a clean program.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no such thing as a clean program. Only some that are less dirty than others.

Draft saved Draft deleted