1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo! reports UConn violated recruiting rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-uconnphone032509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Phone calls, recruit's sheer idiocy make for fascinating story.

Yahoo! continues to pursue these types of stories, even as other outlets lose their ability and desire to do so.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I consider this Yahoo stuff a light in our journalism darkness, a promise of what can be salvaged. Yahoo is making a serious name for itself in an industry dominated by the flashiness of the WWL. How are they doing it? By hiring actual, experienced news journalists. I love the precedent it is setting. It gives me hope.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

UConn violated recruiting rules? To bring kids to the middle of nowhere and turn a deadbeat program into one of the nation's best?

Bear shits in woods. Film at 11.

Though I cannot wait to see Facebook statuses of my Husky Nation friends tomorrow.

4. That's a burial job right there.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Easy to say "bear shits in the woods," but it's one thing to assume stuff, it's another to see evidence laid out that systematically. That story was put together as well as an ace prosecutor could put together a case. Yahoo! has been doing some fantastic work with these investigative pieces. I am not sure how much widespread attention the stories get, and if I am right in my guess that it doesn't get the attention it deserves, it's sad. But it's the kind of stuff I love reading. That was a fantastic job by Adrian Woj and Wetzel.

6. sabrefan

sabrefan Member

Tremendous read. Fantastic work by Adrian, Dan and Josh. Got a feeling this won't end well for the Huskies.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

MUST a FOIA request be responded to? It doesn't have the same power as subpoena, right?

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I think the next step is legal action... so, yeah, I think an FOIA is pretty powerful stuff...

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wetzel has been on fire when it comes to in-depth reporting for NCAA basketball and football.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Sweat forming on the brows of Cleveland State fans everywhere.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Just finished reading it. This gives me hope for journalism yet. Great work. Great timing. Not much more to say.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

?

Draft saved Draft deleted