1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo levels Miami

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, and they talked with the guy last year that he was coming out with a book ... and didn't follow up the past year.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/29/v-fullstory/1797096/new-book-to-allege-violations.html

But there's no doubt, the resources aren't there with the complete gutting of that newsroom the past decade. And it's not going to change.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I was talking to somebody today who said he had zero doubt that particular story got Yahoo off and running -- or at least played a major role in it.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It had to be. And the perfect example of where things are today.

One has time, energy, resources and people to throw at a major project like this. And it wasn't just the main story, which was exhaustive in itself. There's an entire homepage on Yahoo devoted to it with separate links to players, coaches, personnel that Shapiro implicated and that Yahoo! could back up. It includes the charges of what they allegedly took, Shapiro's comments, and the responses of the people when contacted by Yahoo! I mean, it's just incredible how deep and exhaustive the whole thing is.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations;_ylt=AnWBrY5crJRHGjJDc2M_Cm45nYcB

The other side is slashing and burning and gutting people, resources and budgets, and longing for the "good ol' days."

And while there well may be editors bitching up a storm at 1HP today and writers playing big-time catch-up, this is what happens when you go a decade of only worrying about who next to cut. It was as predictable as a sunrise.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah... That too...

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

A little bit of comic relief here.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

LSUfreek is my hero ...

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The ticketing scandal at Kansas wasn't entirely broken by Yahoo. The local media was scraping the surface of it and some details were known by the time Yahoo came along.

Yahoo's story on it was above and beyond anything any of the KC media did, though.

I won't argue that Yahoo is king when it comes to investigative sports journalism. And Dan Wetzel is the best in the country at putting college athletics in its place.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Would the New York Times ever make a run at Robinson and Wetzel? I remember ESPN hired one of the Bonds SF Chronicle guys, but don't recall ESPN breaking a ton of stuff like this despite the fact that they seemed to be committing resources to investigative journalism.

ESPN is what it is. Kind of like a Rivals.com for all sports. Covers sports pretty well and comprehensively, but stays out of this stuff.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

My short answer? Both of them? In this climate? I don't think so.

10. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Charles Robinson used to cover pro football and deal with agents a lot - those who are not necessarily prominent agents. He knows guys like Shapiro who are more than eager to tell their stories and spill dirt. Yes, it is very good reporting and just because it says Yahoo! Sports doesn't mean it isn't quality. Robinson, in particular, and Wetzel have done outstanding jobs on the crock that is the BCS along with major scams like Miami and Oregon. It is almost easier for guys like this to do it than a general columnist or beat writer, who has myriad other things to deal with. I wouldn't say this came out of left field though as Shapiro had spilled some of this before but now it seems has backed it up with more solid evidence.

The NCAA will not hand out the death penalty to Miami. They do not ever want to hand out another death penalty. If say this was USC still ignoring stuff while already be punished then maybe. SMU basically ignored NCAA probation and still had a slush fund going on - that's why it was hit so hard. The school also did little in the way of cooperation.

11. Better question: Why would Robinson and/or Wetzel want to leave?

And I'm talking totally independent of salary. They clearly have the freedom and resources to do great stuff, plus a national platform unencumbered by space restraints with which to display the fruits of their labor.

Leave all that...for a newspaper?? This ain't 1995.

12. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Mile_High: Was that the first mention of that story?
    Did our boys do any follows? That's an inside page notes column lead. I seem to recall the story being played pretty big on the homepage, but I rarely see the paper anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted