1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo levels Miami

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Aug 17, 2011.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When do they turn their guns on pro sports?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When it becomes profitable to do so. Pro scandals don't drive web hits the way college ones do.

Unless they can break something that exposes game fixing at the pro level most people won't care.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

SI had the story with the confessions of the agent Luchs a year or so ago. Both stories essentially stemmed from the top source, in this case Shapiro was all Miami and Luchs had ties to players across a number of programs.

This seems to hit harder because it obliterates one program rather than spreading one violation here, one there, but the SI expose was a big deal when it hit right?

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I wake up every morning generally thankful to have escaped 1HP, but holy hell I would not want to be there right now trying to chase these guys while dodging F-bombs hurled from pissed editors. Ain't often Ma Herald gets taken to the woodshed. That was impressive.
    Yahoo is at a different level.
    Have editor friends in Raleigh who sought my advice during the UNC mess. Told them the same thing: This is Carolina-Clemson hoops in Chapel Hill ... and you're Clemson.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Q-Ray (or "cue ring").

Fake Russian fans.

Jon Gruden to be new coach.

Macy's ad congratulating the Heat on its title.

I'd say their residence has been 1Woodshed for quite some time now.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yahoo is a $17 billion company with $2.5 billion in available cash and earnings per share of 88 cents. You can't seriously be wondering if they have enough money for something like this.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I know they have money. I'm trying to figure out where it comes from.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To me, it's not that Yahoo is doing the work that SI used to do.

It's doing the work that the big local papers once aspired to do, and can now only dream about given the slashing of resources.

Not just the Herald; back in the early 1980s, papers were hiring investigate reporters for their sports departments. I ran two seminars for IRE on investigative reporting in sports.

We're having a similar discussion on Facebook, and it's been noted that this is exactly the sort of "hyperlocal" story papers should be doing. But they have neither the writers nor the lead editors to do so. Those days are long gone, and it's a shame.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wondered the same thing about Google a few years ago. ....

10. LongTimeListener

What's to be done? Steroids/PEDs are played out. The rest of it is grown-ups doing business together. I suppose stadium-related corruption or maybe police covering up for the Rapelisbergers of the world might yield something. But the arbitrariness and illogic of the NCAA system is the main reason these stories come out. I don't see it happening with true businesses.

11. LongTimeListener

A lot of it is paid search. But they also make a whole lot of money from those small ads because the platform just gives them so many eyeballs on everything they do.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. And it's not just sports. There are many platforms.

Draft saved Draft deleted