1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Billy Monday, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Alicia Clark (Glenn Close): What’s the wood.
    Lou (Geoffrey Owens): Something simple, caught. Something like that.
    Alicia Clark: Caught? That’s so boring. How about something like gotcha.
    Lou: OK, great. Gotcha with a slammer.
    Wire editor: Oh, yeah, God forbid this paper runs something without and exclamation mark.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

A couple points of clarification.
    The success of Yahoo! Sports has less to do with Yahoo! Sports and more to do with Yahoo!'s dominance of fantasy sports. Of course Yahoo! has hired to some outstanding sports journalists, but it's to have original content around a fantasy framework.
    How strong is Yahoo!'s Election 2008 coverage team? A rhetorical muse.
    You think newspapers are a slippery slope? You think newspapers' future are in doubt? Yahoo!'s stock is in trouble. In five years who knows what fantasy football/basketball/baseball will become and what technology fad will be the rave.
    On these postboards, Yahoo! Sports is talked about as if it's a newsbreaking behemoth. Of course, they've had a story they've owned. But, the fact remains, they're a staff the size of a large metro that will be holden to a stock price and investors. Sound familiar?
    They don't have a network (ESPN).
    They lost the aggregate war and are losing the search battle (Google).
    There are wonderful journalists there. The quality of their work is unquestionable. What I do question is the final-destination status bestowed on Yahoo! by many on this board.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yahoo has been saying for awhile that is it more read than ESPN.com and I have long thought that was a very misleading stat, because of the fantasy sports.

They have definitely hired some great writers and editors over the last couple years and I hope none of them are in trouble...

4. fishwrapper

I know. It is one of the greatest lines of bullshit in the history of lines of bullshit.
    Every fall, they will have more Sports views than anyone.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What? A company that produces nothing, manufactures nothing, and creates nothing has to lay off its employees? You're kidding.

6. They didn't come anywhere near beating ESPN until they beefed up their staff and made original content their focal point. Sports is the one area of their company generating any sort of positive buzz and it isn't going to get touched.

7. fishwrapper

Well, that's a bit unfair. I didn't want that to happen. On the sports side, there are some great journalists who have been in the profession for decades.
    Their work shouldn't be questioned.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Pipeline is told sports will not be affected.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Um, you get this is a play off of Yahoo's use of an exclamation in its corporate name, right?

And from what I've read about the Yahoo!, er, Yahoo, layoffs, they are related mostly to purging people who were working on projects the company dumped or sold.

10. fishwrapper

No. Thanks.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

No one has ever confused Jerry Yang with Steve Jobs (not even fellow Tulane alums).

(And, yes, I remember the Lisa computer fiasco, thanks very much.)

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And now a prescription drug ad is right in the middle of the Yahoo home page.

Draft saved Draft deleted