1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo is getting serious ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kaisersoze, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

What an immature response. Every day we hear from fans how we're all jock-sniffers because we cover these teams. You just proved you're just as ignorant as they are. Congratulations.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This isn't 1999 and this isn't Fox Sports... Most of these guys are getting three-year contracts... And for some reason, I think the Internet is a hell of a lot healthier than newspapers...

3. My apologies for my earlier brusque post. Moland Spring wrote it better than I did. I still don't think it's smart for someone with only a knowledge of the general transaction to imply that a person like Steve Politi made some kind of a mistake for turning down Yahoo to stay at the Star-Ledger. The Big Lead is making a lot of assumptions -- that there was more money involved, that Politi would have carte blanche, even that there was more prestige. I'm sure Steve has several valid reasons. Taking a job or turning it down is not always about circulation, page views or prestige.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

exactly right. i'm among the geezers my friends at yahoo like to shout at: "but we lead the league in hits!"

eff that. the reality, to me, is that few of those "hits" include stops to read the passans of the world. maybe in time that will change. lord knows i have trouble keeping up with the world's changes. that said, i still hear few people talking about anything they've read or learned from the yahoo's out there. yet they still talk about stuff they've seen in the paper. we shall see.

i used to read a guy such as adrian woj all the time when he wrote for the record of bergen. thoroughly enjoyed his take as a columnist. he left for what i'm sure was a sweet deal to be the nba columnist, i believe, at yahoo! i've yet to read anything he's written there. apologies to woj and the others at yahoo! i'm just stating the facts in my little corner of the world. not trying to be hurtful. i'm sure woj couldn't care less.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Way to miss my point, dicksnort. My point is, not all of these sites are going to sustain growth, and there will still be newspapers around for many writers to go back to. A tragic thought for you, I'm sure.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Dicksnort?

(Giggling to self)

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Either dog428 or the djc guy invented it. It may be in the sj style guide. If not, it should be.

8. For every person who read Woj in Bergen and doesn't keep up with him on Yahoo, he's being exposed to infintely more readers that wouldn't know the Record if the delivery person nailed them between the eyes with it.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

Source tells me Ludden is not (yet) a sure thing.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

very true. if that's what floats your boat, you win. if being a big fish in a small pond floats your boat, that's good, too.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I know those words, but that sign makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Shockey, do you have a source when you say few of the 'hits' include stops at passans of the world, or is it just an opinion?

And Dooley, do you have a source for this statement: "I'm talking about the several sites that are gobbling up people. They won't all survive as major players. And as far as Yahoo's audience, there's no assumption that anything more than a tiny fraction of it goes there for sports other than for scores and box scores" or is it just opinion?

And Liz Robbins 'supposedly' leaving has been confirmed - she's taking a leave of absence (unsure how long; perhaps one year) to write a book.

Draft saved Draft deleted