1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo!: Former Bama DE funneled money to 5 NFL-bound players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 11, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK I guess the agents might be on the hook, although has anybody ever been prosecuted on those laws or are they just scare tactics?

Still, though -- there is nothing legally wrong with the players taking the money.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am too. Seems like low hanging but high profile fruit for the IRS.

Suddenly the spotlight is off Johnny TD for this weekend.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2013/09/05/north-carolina-greg-little-agent-terry-watson-improper-benefits/2771861/

4. LongTimeListener

That's a warrant. Not yet a prosecution. Care to bet whether they do prosecute?

The laws have been around for quite a while, I gather. If they mean anything, there should be a long list of people who have been prosecuted and even convicted.

Meanwhile, reading up on it further, I see that Alabama allowed its law to lapse so it and other states can create "uniform" laws. Mmm hmm.

5. Steak Snabler

Alabama was one of the first, if not the first, to have one of these laws. The first time I remember hearing talk of it was when All-America defensive tackle Michael Myers was declared ineligible right before the 1997 season for accepting plane tickets and a suit from an agent.

6. LongTimeListener

And I repeat: What were the legal consequences of that case?

7. Steak Snabler

I don't recall exactly, but it seems like many of these agents and runners have lost chances at certification with the NFL, and potential for lucrative careers representing other players.

I know there was a guy arrested at LSU a few years back for trying to make contact with players.

But if you're asking if there are dozens of would-be agents currently wearing striped jump suits and breaking rocks on the chain gang, I suppose the answer is no.

8. LongTimeListener

Yeah.

My point wasn't really about the agents anyway. It was about the players taking the money. They can do whatever they want even if the agents are potentially in trouble with the law.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

LTL - this is another example of how uninformed your posts are.

Clearly you need to study the Norby Walters / Lloyd Bloom case of the late 80's. They were charged with defrauding colleges of scholarship money by signing players to secret contracts and racketeering by threatening players.

It was the case that was suppose to bring an end to this type of thing.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-04-11/sports/sp-1839_1_sports-agents-walters-and-bloom-unscrupulous-agents

"I think the business is really starting to change now, and the indictments are a major reason for this," said Steve Zucker, an agent whose clients include Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon.

Bob Woolf, a Boston-based sports attorney whose clients include Larry Bird, Joe Montana and Doug Flutie, said he expects the verdict to have "a very positive impact" no matter what it is.

A finding of guilty "would certainly be a sobering message to a lot of people out there . . . to a lot of the unscrupulous agents," he said.

"If they're found innocent," he said, "the message is still out there. That abuses will not be tolerated."

10. LongTimeListener

Yeah, racketeering and shit and being involved with the mob -- not exactly these "agent" laws, which didn't even exist to prosecute Walters and Bloom. Go troll somebody else, shithead. My point stands. Players serve no penalty.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, you want the players to be paid anyway, so why are you so bent out of fucking shape?

12. LongTimeListener

I'm bent out of shape by Boom.

On the topic, I don't care if they get paid or not. The under-the-table system as it is now works just fine for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted