1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo!: Former Bama DE funneled money to 5 NFL-bound players

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 11, 2013.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Don't worry; the NCAA's crack squad of investigators will quickly get right to the bottom of this.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Shoddy reporting. Since it's Oklahoma State and these girls were all about school spirit, it was reverse cowgirl.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Murray State just lost 3 scholarships, and they don't know why

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I heard this reporter being interviewed on the radio today and it sounds as if Yahoo & Co. did diligent work for 6-8 months on this thing, checking all the leads and gathering info. Good work by him and the sports dept over there.
    The charges involve minor transactions, in the grand scheme of the financial world, but what's illegal is illegal.
    State's already smarting from money-related transgressions and part of me sure hopes this blows over.
    Still, it stinks to see it happening and to understand that by and large the info in the story is probably all true.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is any of this illegal? In other words, do any of these people have a reason to regret doing this, and is there any kind of deterrent for others?

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Seriously, at least the people at OSU know how to do this right. You don't wire money. Cash exchanges. No paper trail. The SEC may win on the field, but OSU has them beat when it comes to knowing how to cheat.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of these days the IRS is going to wade in on unreported income and then it will get interesting.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

illegal by NCAA bylaws or rules, is what I'm saying

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's my point. I know you're using it innocuously, but the myth that any of this is "illegal" has gone a long way to creating the perceptions we've had for so many decades. It isn't illegal at all. For these players, there's nothing wrong with it as long as they don't get caught while they're in school. It's against the rules of a private organization, one they don't have to care a lick about once their eligibility is used up and one that has a love-hate relationship with its own rules in the first place.

No crime, no penalties, and we're supposed to expect these guys not to do something because it's "illegal."

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not just against NCAA bylaws. The NFLPA doesn't want it happening either. An agent can get decertified by the players association if he or she gets caught using runners. It's nearly impossible to police (as long as you keep distance between yourself and your runner), which is why it is still pretty common. It's a sleazy business.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not exactly. Several states have uniform agent laws, and Luther Davis was apparently not registered in Mississippi, Alabama or with the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted