1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo! denies Microsoft offer to buy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Should Yahoo! just acquiesce control to Microsoft or go private, possibly leading to the layoff of thousands?

From the AP:

By MICHAEL LIEDTKE
    Associated Press
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO — Microsoft Corp.'s $41 billion takeover bid appears to have backed Yahoo Inc. into a corner, leaving the struggling Internet pioneer with the unpleasant choice of selling to a detested rival or pursuing other agonizing alternatives likely to require the help of an even fiercer foe — Google Inc.

At least that appeared to be the consensus emerging among analysts Monday as Wall Street awaited Yahoo's response to last week's unsolicited Microsoft offer.

Yahoo says its board is going to take its time reviewing Microsoft's bid along with other options that could keep the Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company independent.

"At the end of the day, I don't think they are going to be able to turn down Microsoft," predicted technology investment banker Peter Falvey of Revolutions Partners, echoing a widely held sentiment.

2. Yahoo! says no to Microsoft's offer. Microsoft could try taking it directly to the shareholders. Is no one else following this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/microsoft_yahoo

SAN FRANCISCO - Yahoo Inc.'s board will reject Microsoft Corp.'s $44.6 billion takeover bid after concluding the unsolicited offer undervalues the slumping Internet pioneer, according to a person familiar with the situation.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The decision could provoke a showdown between two of the world's most prominent technology companies.

If the world's largest software maker wants Yahoo badly enough, Microsoft could try to override Yahoo's board by taking its offer — originally valued at $31 per share — directly to the shareholders. Pursuing that risky route probably will require Microsoft to attempt to oust Yahoo's current 10-member board.

Alternatively, Microsoft could sweeten its bid. Many analysts believe Microsoft is prepared to offer as much as $35 per share for Yahoo, which still boasts one of the Internet's largest audiences and most powerful advertising vehicles despite a prolonged slump that has hammered its stock.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I look forward to the Microsoft Yahoo, which will crash daily and be upgraded with maximum inefficiency on a regular basis.

4. [​IMG]

"That better not be sarcasm, Beej."

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think Microsoft blows. Like so many others, I tolerate them, because resistence is futile. (can't take credit for the tolerate line, it was in one of the wire stories about the possible takeover)

I'm not nearly business-savvy enough to estimate if this will go thru or not, but it should be worrisome, b/c it'll give Microsoft another big piece of a pie it's already gorging upon.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If yahoo doesnt want the 44.6 bill, i will happily take it off mr. gates' hands.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I laughed hard at that.

8. Microsoft is AWESOME. When I build a new house, it is going to look like this:

[​IMG]
    photo is a total fake

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted