1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo.com and Rivals.com ... please explain

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 30, 2008.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I visit web sites mainly to keep up with college football and hoops so I don't know what Yahoo is getting done with regard to pro sports.
    However, a couple of years ago when Yahoo hired the guy from the LA Times, I heard they were gearing up to challenge ESPN.com.
    When I visit Yahoo's college grid and hoops sites, all the stuff comes from Rivals.com writers (and I realize Rivals has hired a few folks in the last few months).
    Please pardon the vast ignorance, but can somebody tell me what (if anything) has happened to Yahoo's sports push/commitment?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, Gordon Edes is joining them as a national baseball writer in a few days.

That said, I imagine they're otherwise in limbo as the whole dick-swinging between Yahoo and Microsoft continues.

3. Hillman

Hillman New Member

ESPN has increased its prep coverage and purchased the websites hoopgurlz.com, schoolsports.com, and studentsports.com.

Studentsports.com was part of the rivals network and owned by yahoo.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Didn't Yahoo buy Rivals? Which would explain all the Rivals content ...

5. Hillman

Hillman New Member

Yahoo purchased Rivals last June.

It's hard to know where the sites wind up with the ongoing discussion of selling yahoo.

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

ESPN has also stolen some of Rivals' high school sites (i.e. MDVarsity.com, CalHiSports.com).

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

all of these weird little obscure get-a-life sites have readers? and paid staff?

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

The only reason some of those small sites exist these days is to be purchased. I worked for one last year. It was a start-up. It had lots of issues. They didn't want to pay me squat. But they'll probably generate enough hits in the next 6-12 months to attract some offers.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It will be good for them to have an E. Coast guy to go along with Tim Brown and Jeff Passan. Strong team. This goes along with what I've been saying about strong reporters being more valuable than "here's my take" columnists as the news shifts from newspapers to Web products. Edes is an excellent reporter. Guys like him an Olney and Brown and Ken Rosenthal are the big draws for their respective sites.

10. Hillman

Hillman New Member

CalHiSports.com was part of the studentsports.com group.

I worked as a freelancer for Student Sports from 1998 to 2002. It was a great gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted