1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo Columnist Sued Over Missed Book Deadline

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dang. I would suspect you'd have to return the money if you didn't deliver the book. I also suspect there's another side to this

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/09/01/yahoo-columnist-sued-for-failure-to-meet-deadline-for-jim-valva/

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Damn, I need to write a book.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Phil Anselmo: Metal's Most Misunderstood Man" is destined to become an ebook, dude.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The working title is "Sometimes you get the Bulldog ... sometimes you get an insufferable prick."

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nobody's reading your autobio. Except maybe me, for laughs. :D

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'd read several years ago Adrian's next book was going to be on Valvano. Was really looking forward to it and had wondered what ever happened with it.

A friend of mine had a $75,000 advance for a novel. Missed the deadline because she was feeling too much pressure. It was then going to be $50,000 and she missed that. She then had to pay back what she'd already received, which I think was half. The worst part was that it damaged her agent's reputation with the publisher, because she kept vouching for her client.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Don't give up, don't ever give up. Especially once you've cashed the advance check.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Somehow, I knew who this columnist was before I clicked on the link.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I have NO problem with this. You signed a contract. Meet the deadline.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Maybe he found a writer's bloc when uncovering the greatness of Valvano's World Funniest Moments in Sports on whatever it was on ESPN - while the dude was coaching an ACC program.

Maybe the author, like his subject, found himself spread too thin.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

God, that's horrible. Once you take into account taxes and her agent's commission, half pretty much means everything she actually got, right?

So, no novel, no agent, and she literally lost money on the effing thing? I think the punishment outweighs the crime here.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, it wasn't good. She has trouble with expectations. Her earlier books were $10,000 advances and she didn't have any trouble. The idea that she had to write a "$75,000 book" sort of overwhelmed her.

Draft saved Draft deleted