1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo CEO: No more working remote -- get to the office or quit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 25, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Back to the kitchen with her!

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Do you ever run out of amazing one-liners, burns and jokes? You're like a comedy machine.

3. TheSportsPredictor

Oh, burn!!

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Guess that answers my question. No. You never run out.

5. TheSportsPredictor

A bottomless well!

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I never have any clue what goes into these lame names that branding people come up with.

In this case, for years, the only actual asset Yahoo! has had, has been a stake in Alibaba. It is all that Yahoo! is now. A 15 percent stake in Alibaba that is worth about $35 billion. Supposedly, the name is supposed to be a combination of the words, "alternative and Alibaba."

On the one hand, it makes sense. On the other hand, doesn't anyone stop and say the name and realize it is just terrible? I guess it is better than "RemainCo," though, which is what the company has been calling their mishmash internally and in securities filings.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Altaba sounds like a name that comes with 50-seconds of disclaimers in a one-minute commercial.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I think the point is to generate a pleasant sounding name that does not have any meaning in a major language. That goes back to the Chevy Nova (No va being "won't go" in Spanish) making GM look like idiots.

The chosen names are beginning to sound like baby babble.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yahoo! is mostly good for finding out which celebrity has "broken her silence" on some barely consequential news story.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Could be worse. Could be AltaTronc.

Draft saved Draft deleted