1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo CEO: No more working remote -- get to the office or quit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's the way I look at it too. They're hoping to reduce their staff without having to pay people to leave.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Second that. They did a round of 2,000 cuts in April -- and that was before Mayer got there. I suspect more are coming this year.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Come to the Yahoo! office to work and we'll par-TAY!!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Here's a Gawker story on Mayer building the nursery in her office:

http://gawker.com/5987043/yahoo-ceo-marissa-mayer-installed-a-nursery-in-her-office#13619065714913&{"type":"iframeUpdated","height":1574}

I love how the author writes that a few ex-employees "confessed" that banning telework is a smart idea. As if it's shameful to ever agree with your boss, or ex-boss, on anything. God forbid!

Also, Marissa Mayer. Hello!

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This point has already been discussed in detail: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/91346/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. I didn't know Larry Page posted here.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Then listen to this and feel the desire dry up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSujceZDmg

8. That is one of the worst things I have ever listened to.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Let me clarify: I love her laugh. It cracks me up. However, in a compilation, all smushed together? Yikes.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I go both ways on working from home.

I recently took a stab at it on some really bad weather days. Too many distractions (canine ones). If I had a set project -- which I did not -- an isolated space, and no Internet access -- maybe. I did fine with freelance previously.

But I can see it working for some people.

My office is in a church building. One of the guys here "works from home," yet nothing seems to get done.Two weeks ago, he had sick kids and had to "work from home." Uh, no. You're tending to sick children. While you might need to be home, you are not working.

Today he left because it's his daughter's birthday, claiming to work from home the rest of the day. No, you're hanging out with your daughter. And that's well and good, if you're using your leave time. But no work is getting done.

In his case, a lot of that work NEEDS to be done on site, because part of his job is to be there for the congregational members who have needs. That means when they walk into the church and need a pastor to talk to he should be accessible.

It's usually not the same for writers, but face time with the colleagues on a regular basis is a usually good idea.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Whoa, Nelly!

Are you sure that wasn't Rebecca Lobo?

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Whether work-at-home arrangements work out depends a lot on the expectations the company makes. For example, at one place my wife worked, you could work at home one day per week, but it was made clear that your kids can't be around, and you're not doing laundry. My wife does ALL her work from home now (as a remote office for a company based elsewhere), and she has a set time she is At Work. She doesn't have to rush the kids out of the way, but on the other hand if she wants to take time off to see some school event, she can't just bolt -- she has to arrange it in advance, just like you would if you work in an office.

Draft saved Draft deleted