1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo CEO: No more working remote -- get to the office or quit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yahoo! isn't in trouble. Just because it's not Google does not mean it's on the verge of folding. I know there have been layoffs, but Google has had the same thing...

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Somewhat biased here, but I think if Mayer has big ideas and she makes the right hires, I think Yahoo can come back. It's refocusing itself on things other than mail and fantasy sports. It's all up in the air, but I don't think the coffin's closed yet.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So it's a college football program.

We all know how well-adjusted college football players are when they leave that womb.

Sorry, but a job whirring around me to manage my life? Don't care for it. It's to their distinct advantage.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not sure I see it that way... The bulk of the people Google hires are in their 20s and they've done pretty extensive research that this is the way to maximize performance for people that age.

For someone like me, late 30s, married with kids, all of those perks would be nice, but it wouldn't keep me in the office longer, because I'd want to get home to my family... For someone single and in their 20s, why would you ever leave?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yahoo is in big trouble. There was lots of speculation after the last CEO firing that it would be bought/absorbed by one of the big boys. And this was before they had the big resume flap with the guy they hired before Mayer. Most see her tenure as the last gasp for the whole company.

I think she is doing quite well off the jump, though, and could save it. But Yahoo is definitely in trouble.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That I don't remember. AT all. Is Yahoo as strong as it was 10 years ago? No. But I don't think it's in danger of folding in the next 10 years either. If nothing else, the email and fantasy sports keep it afloat.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Here is but one of the many articles written on that topic, by All Things D blog, in September 2011.

It almost happened under her predecessor. And now with the firing of Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz after a rocky two-and-half years, is the company ripe for a sale, or a breakup? (We’ll play Carnac and predict your first thought: Ugh, this again? We feel exactly the same.)

You see, the takeover or breakup of Yahoo has been an endless string of failed efforts, pitches, rumors and stupid ideas. For more on this, we turn to the moment of Original Sin: Microsoft’s February 2008 unsolicited offer to buy Yahoo for $45 billion, or about $31 a share.

http://allthingsd.com/20110907/with-carol-bartz-out-is-yahoo-a-takeover-target/

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's already happened. Most newspaper offices are in downtown office buildings.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This decision is coming because Melissa Mayer is a workaholic who was able to put a day care for her child right next to her office -- unlike every other employee at Yahoo. This is but another case of an executive deciding that what works for her is what's going to work for everyone, and that can be a recipe for failure.

But she figures she's Alec Baldwin giving the speech to Mitch & Murray's real estate office. Fuck or walk. Nice guy? I don't give a shit. Good parent? Fuck you! Go home and play with your kids.

Maybe she gets the hard-charging Internet company she hopes for. Could be. But it's a fine line. Google certainly makes it clear you're going to be working there 24 hours a day, but they do all sorts of things for you to make it sane and to give some understanding that they know they're working you ragged, and they appreciate it. Mayer's move just comes off as someone yelling to whip the galley slaves faster. If and when she gets fired, the talent drain that this move caused is going to be cited as a reason.

10. Mayer is finding out being a publicity hound isn't that great when you're heading a company that has no vision.

11. printit

printit Member

Have thought this for a while myself. Mid-major cities a lot of the downtown office space is for lawyers. As federal court is online and state courts are moving in that direction it decreases the need for a lot of lawyers to actually be downtown.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We finished last with you, we can finish last without you.

Draft saved Draft deleted