1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

YA HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dirk Legume, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Some of you will remember that my daughter is a softball player. This weekend she accepted a scholarship offer to continue to play in college. Mrs. Legume and I could not be more proud. She worked hard and earned it.

The talk at home now turns from "where will she go to school", to "what in the world will we do with ourselves when she is gone?"

My funny little honey says that my suggestion of "more whopee" will be taken under advisement.

The empty nest thing will be a huge adjustment. As will the "I have no idea what my child is doing right now and even if I did, I have no control" thing". I will most likely handle both poorly.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think the more whoopee is a good idea, but what are you going to do the other 23 hours and 59 minutes?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fixed.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

First of all, congratulations on your daughter's scholarship and getting her out of the casa de Legume.

You need to tread lightly while getting readjusted to being alone with your wife all the time.

One thing the Army has taught me (with tons of time away from my wife) is that it is NOT COOL to just jump back into the sack during a readjustment period. You have to bring back the romance. You need to "date" for a while before you hit the sheets at 100 miles an hour.

A couple of weeks of "dating," i.e., movie night, flowers and a nice meal or two, should get you back into the swing of things.

Remember, instead of heading back to the bedroom after empyting the nest, lots of couples head to the divorce attorney. Don't be that guy.

5. Dirk Legume

FB and FDP,

First two posts...you guys are on your game. ;D

TBF...Thanks for the advice. We have determined that our biggest problem will be finding things to talk about. For 17 years it's been all about the offspring. Sports, grades, boys, whatever it was, she was generally the topic of conversation.

It's going to be weird...very weird.

And don't worry, I won't be "divorced guy". My Mrs. has always said she would rather be a widow than divorced.

So I got that goin' for me ;)

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Uh, I'd be checking my morning eggs for arsenic if I were you.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Congrats, Dirk.

And work hard at your relationship for the "empty nest" period.

It really can be hard on a relationship.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Get a neighbor to start your car for you, too.

9. Dirk Legume

You know, for years she has slept with 2X4 with a nail in under her side of the bed. Things are starting to become clearer.

And re: the scholarship...it did not require the effort of one sportswriter to secure. so If you are looking for hard evidence...there it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted