1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

X's and O's or Xs and Os?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Whoa.

It's a stylebook. It's not a holy document. Even among papers that adhere to AP style (like mine), there are rulings that get bucked.

The style on plurals for single letters is not where I'd make my stand. AP's ruling, and the reasons behind it that have been detailed on this thread, makes sense to me. On others, such as the one recently handed down that prohibits "loan" as a verb, I'm inclined to turn away from blind devotion to the almighty AP.

2. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I'm not choosing this battle to make a stand. A point? Yes. And I certainly don't agree with everything in the stylebook, and I don't think AP is almighty.

But if we're going to look things up in the stylebook, then say, 'Nope, I don't agree. I'm doing it my way,' then what point is there in even having a style book?

Wait a minute, I think I'm starting to come around to this logic, and I think I like it. From now on, I'm going to apply it to the dictionary. No longer will I be spelling the word neighbor with a 'g' because it makes no sense to me.

3. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Now there's a nice overreaction to what I said. Perhaps I should point out that I was the one to cite the stylebook in the first place.

First, about making a stand: I was talking about NOT bucking AP on this point.

Second, about bucking AP: Oh, never mind.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's definitely X's and O's. You need apostrophes after single letters because of words such as "is" and "as." It's always been like that in the stylebook and at all of my newspaper stops. There's no debate.

5. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

^^^
    Amen

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

I don't like the apostrophe in Xs or Os. It gives a possessive quality that doesn't exist to something that you're simply trying to make plural.

Much like "A's" in Oakland A's. I don't like whoever stuck that apostrophe in there for no reason.

7. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I think it's been covered already, but A's is a contraction for Athletics. The apostrophe replaces the "thletic" in that case.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

That makes sense. I'll shut up.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

What a myopic stance.
    Point is, what if you styles don't dictate apostrophe usage on the pluralization of single letters?
    I suppose that still makes you right.

10. fishwrapper

And, "A's" isn't a contraction for anything.

[​IMG]

"A's" is a nickname, and refers to the original bold, Gothic script "A" that was at the front of Athletics' jersey. When the word "Athletics" didn't fit in headlines in Philadelphia, headline writers used "A's" --- the plural of, or many "A."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Not arguing your point because I'm not a big baseball guy, but was the team originially the Athletics or just the A's? If it was the Athletics, then how do you know that A's is plural for "many A's" and not a contraction? The contraction thing makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. fishwrapper

'Dodgers.

Draft saved Draft deleted