1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Xmas time--BASW '07 stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mike_Sielski, Aug 17, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Jeff McGregor, can't believe he used to host "The Dating Game." Talk about a career.

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Anybody own a spare copy of 1993, '94 or '95? Still hunting for those (and I would rather avoid going the Amazon route.)

3. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I found this part interesting at the end of the Parcells story

An article last Sunday in Play magazine about Dallas Cowboys Coach Bill Parcells misstated the surname of a Dallas tight end. He is Jason Witten, not Whitten. The article also misstated the position that Chris Cooley of the Washington Redskins plays, and misidentified the former team of Washington’s running back T. J. Duckett. Cooley is a tight end, not a wide receiver. Duckett played for Atlanta, not Denver. The article also referred incorrectly to a playoff game last season in which Dallas’s kicker, Mike Vanderjagt, then with the Indianapolis Colts, missed a potential game-tying field goal against Pittsburgh. It was a divisional playoff game, not a conference championship game.

Doesn't necessarily take away from the story, but it does take off a little of the polish.

4. Yeah, why let the facts get in the way of a good story. ;)

5. Rubber City

Rubber City New Member

So, is it always the "Best sportswriting from the papers with the largest circulations" as this seems to be? Or so some unknowns get in from time to time?

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I wish this one had made it...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/12/AR2007021201312.html

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That Sheinin piece was amazing. I remember reading it when it came out.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Used versions of the '91, '92, '93 editions are available for as little as 75 cents each (plus shipping) at half.com. Others are for sale on there, too.

9. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Read it when it was published ... and just read it again. Need to go clean now, the apartment is getting a little dusty.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

That Sheinin piece about Josh Hamilton may very well make it yet -- in the 2008 version. Remember, only stories published in 2006 are eligible for the 2007 book. That Sheinin piece was from this year's spring training, in February.

The fact that DFW's Federer piece didn't make the cut is ridiculous.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Word on the street - or at least on Madison Avenue - is that since DFW is editing this year's Best American Essays, the publisher was concerned about appearing biased. Sounds silly enough to be true.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I just read each word. Saslow's done some great work there. I enjoyed his piece on that girl's lacrosse team with the long winning streak that just ended.

However, his use of flashbacks was confusing. He seemed to jump from immediately after the injury to Hixon taking the test and back in a haphazard fashion.

Draft saved Draft deleted