1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

XM Radio Music Royalty Fee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Finally got a look at my XM bill and see that they have pulled a fast one.

6 months ago they slipped in what is termed a "music royalty fee" of an extra $1.98 per month.

Always wondered how this worked. I feel taken. Goodbye XM.

2. mb

mb Active Member

That'll show them. Cancel over $2 a month.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Either that or listen to commericals and the same 250 songs in rotation on your local radio station.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

XM is starting to get just as bad with their rotation of songs. Lots more repetition then before the companies merged.

Still better than terrestrial radio, but the gap has lessened.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Mel K. strikes again. Squeeze the lemon.

It was noticable from the gun after the merger, and it's gotten worse.

Dirtbags.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not to mention the yakking on XM46 by Dusty Street who apparently was around when the first joint was smoked in San Francisco.

And in a period of 24 hours I heard Like A Rolling Stone three times.

Still, it beats the hell out of terrestrial radio

7. Boom_70

It's principle. They should have alerted subscribers to this new charge.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, it do . . . but you better like the stuff they have in heavy rotation.

It's gotten tougher to listen to some of
    my favorite channels since they keep pounding isolated tunes I don't like from
    specific artists/situations.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Internet radio is coming and it will put the satellites out of their misery.

To clarify, it already exists in a crude fashion with my wireless laptop and FM converter, but it's coming big in the next few years.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Isn't it already here to some degree in the form of podcasts? Streaming Internet radio while driving in the car would be interesting, but unless the quality of the broadcasts is up to the standard of my favorite podcasts, I can live without it.

12. Boom_70

Called XM to inquire about my music royalty fee. Got someone named Fred who I am sure was in Karachi.

When I brought up music fee it was like a switch went on. He started reading from prepared statement about how XM used to absorb but now has to pass on. Told him I never agreed to this extra charge and I wanted a credit or I would cancel my subscription. End result was that I got my credit.

He then wanted to sell me a Lifetime subscription for $461.
    I asked him what would happen when they go out of business in a year. He had no real clear answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted