1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

XM Radio and SEC...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FuerteJ, Mar 6, 2007.

1. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I don't know if this is a d_b, but XM and the SEC have joined up, signing a five-year contract. XM will now broadcast SEC football and basketball games. That's great, I have XM. But my question is this: If you've just merged with Sirius, pending FCC approval (which I know is a big if), why sign a five-year contract. Why not wait to see if the FCC is going to approve?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Big 10, ACC, Pac 10 and SEC all on XM now.
  3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Approval of the merger (which is dicey, as you note) will take a year minimum. It is only smart for both companies to go about business as usual in the meantime and try to get an upper hand on one another.

So now XM will have Major League Baseball and SEC/Big 10/Pac 10 football? I originally chose Sirius over XM specifically because of SEC football (over baseball, which I would have loved to have, too). My contract is long expired. I'm switching.
  4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

there will be a clause in the contract addressing what happens if the merger is approved.
  5. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

XM also has the NHL, PGA Tour Network (golf on radio...nothing is more exciting!!), and the NASCAR Network.
    They also had the World Cup this past year as well.
  6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They lost NASCAR to Sirius this year.
  7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

8. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Oops, sorry.
    That's a sign that my subscription ended in December and I haven't re-upped.
  9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Fuck times ten.

Angry Sirius Subscriber
  10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Some SEC teams will remain on Sirius for now.

LSU apparently refuses to do any kind of satellite deal at all.
  11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Could have sworn I heard the LSU guys calling the Auburn game while I was on the road last year. Then again, that could have been a crack day.
  12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Maybe I was thinking of Vandy. One of them, anyway. I'll check.
Draft saved Draft deleted