1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

XM: how do you listen? and to what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Feb 2, 2007.

1. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

I'm not afraid to admit I like Top 20, as well as 22 and 30. I also like the 90s and Broadway. There's something about a countdown that is so reassuring ... thanks Casey Kasem! I only use it once in a while in a work car, though, so I will give some of the other channels more of a listen next time.
    Having so much major conference basketball is so nice this time of year, same with baseball in the summer. It's nice because it happens several days a week, not just on Sundays for NFL. Plus as a personal preference I like watching football and don't mind listening to baseball and basketball on the radio.

2. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

64 - The Groove baby. Some good ol' Earth Wind and Fire, Cameo. That kind of stuff.

And also some 80s on 8. And Top Tracks on 46. Maybe even a little disco on 83.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome! Thanks Patchs. I might hit one of those XM installation places tomorrow and see if they have the remote...if I don't find it, I'll order it Sunday night. Kickass!

And those Casey Kasem countdowns are the greatest things ever. I love, love, love those countdowns...how hokey and wonderfully outdated they are. That show would never air today. We'd hear about the lawyer ending up backstage at a Saga concert within 20 minutes of it occuring (hope someone else heard that story).

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How much does one of the portable radios cost and how do you hook it up in your car? I have an old car with a pretty old stereo, would I have to replace it? I have always wanted to buy this thing to listen to MLB.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I honestly don't remember the final cost, it was a birthday gift. But it's at least a couple hundred, I'd bet, to buy the set and have it installed. If you're good with that stuff, you can probably install it yourself...but I'm not, so I didn't.

Cannot stress enough what a great investment this is.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

I would pay the $12.95 a month just for the Casey Kasem AT 40s.
    I love being able to record them. I also just got a book "Countdown of the Century" which is the history of AT40, written by a former sports writer, Rob Durkee.
    As my avatar tells, I am a huge AT40 junkie.

As for anyone interested in getting XM, go to www.xm411.com and go to the discussion boards. Some nice people will be glad to answer your questions, or PM me.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree satellite radio is the greatest thing ever...

I have Sirius. The music is great. The NFL stuff is great.

But the best thing about Sirius is HOWARD FUCKING STERN!

I drive a lot and listening to Stern makes the time fly by...

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Fred has introduced me to a lot of great stuff I'd have never gotten into before. Fred and ESPN 140 and I'm golden.

9. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

you can get a myfi for around $150. it comes with a car kit and a tape that you use to make it play through your stereo.

here's a refurbished one on ebay for under 100:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Delphi-MyFi-XM-Satellite-Radio-Car-Home-Receiver-XM2GO_W0QQitemZ230086872979QQihZ013QQcategoryZ109259QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My father has one of these and says it's great. you can record up to 5 hours of stuff on it, too.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I listen to it through DirecTV.

I'm all about Willie's Place these days.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm just going to echo this post rather then listing my reasons for switching from XM to Sirius. Almost all of the dogstar's rock stations are better than their XM counterparts, the old-school soul station is awesome, their reggae station is more impressive than XM's and the classic jazz stations are about equal.

To echo something Moddy has said before, I bought satellite radio for music, not sports. While the baseball package on XM was nice, it's not the be-all and end-all of the product for me.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I have started migrating away from my presets lately. I have really been enjoying the hard rock channels, especially the Boneyard.

Draft saved Draft deleted