1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

XM: how do you listen? and to what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Feb 2, 2007.

1. accguy

accguy Member

I've had my XM for about a year and I've found myself going through a change in how I listen.

Previously, I surfed and surfed and surfed. I looked for a band I like and would go all over the dial.

Of late, however, I've been sticking with one channel for my entire commute or for an hour on the headphones at work. Now I seem to only change if there's a band or song I hate.

And what are your favorite channels. I've been big into Ethel (47) lately. I do still like Fred (44), Boneyard (41) and Lucy (54). Don't mind 80s or 90s or Flight 26.

Thoughts?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I listen very, very happily.

FUCK terrestial radio. Satellite radio is the greatest invention ever. Even better than electricity.

I listen now the same way I did when I got it at Christmas 2005. I have several presets and very rarely have to search beyond them. In order, it's Boneyard (41), '80s (8), Big Tracks (49), '90s (9), '70s (7), whatever the classic rock station is (46?) and Deep Tracks (40-something). I used to have Squizz as my eighth pre-set, but I turned that to the Xmas station and have yet to find a new preset. The ninth and 10th presets are sports talk, for when I'm really desperate for a score.

It's awesome. I almost never get beyond the '70s before I find something I like.

On a related note, do you know how to get a new remote control for the Skyfox2? I lost mine and I can't find any place to order remotes on the XM website.

3. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

On DirectTV (wish they had more channels, but I love the ones they do). When I'm flipping through I go 50s through Flight 26 and then skip to XMU, Ethel, Big Tracks, Deep Tracks, Lucy and Fred (think someone was an I Love Lucy fan?).

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

On my Airware, I have the entire A presets as rock stations with BoneYard my favorite, Big Tracks No. 2 and Squizz No. 3. If I can't find anything there, the others presets are Liquid Metal; Fred, Ethel and Lucy (all good when I'm on my '80s and/or alternative fix), and then Top Tracks and Deep Tracks.

For a change of pace, I go to the B presets where I have the 70s, 80s and 90s channels, Cinemagic (love those movie scores) and a couple of classical stations.

My C presets are for Comedy and Talk channels, with the comedy, ESPN radio and MLB Home Plate my favorites.

I am still in the habit of surfing around quite a bit. Having so many channels is almost (I said "almost") a curse, because you might have it on a song you like, but you're so worried about missing something you have to keep checking around.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's exactly what I was like. I used to be like "I love this song! Haven't heard it in years! But...what's on Big Tracks? What if something even better is on?"

Now, I typically find a song I like and stick with it. But I hate it when I catch, say, "Living In Sin" at the tail end. :D

6. accguy

accguy Member

A few weeks ago, I was flipping around and heard some of the music from Hoosiers on cinemagic. That was awesome.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Put it on 44 and rip the knob off.

8. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

My commute starts with 202 the Virus - Opie and Anthony. When I go out for lunch or on assigment midday it's Ron and Fez (also on 202).

When they break, i scan the 80s on 8, Boneyard, The Rhyme (old school rap), 90s on 9, Fungus (punk) and then down to CNN, Air America.

I can't live without it.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Channel 150, uncensored comedy. Love it.

Also X-Country, Bluesville, Boneyard, DeepTracks. CNN, ESPN, local traffic.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone have the new portable, the Inno or whatever it is called?
    I have one of the originals, the MyFi, and it blows. Boom and I, among others, have discussed its shortcomings before. But I like the idea of my XM being portable.
    I have it in the car, the house and the office. Is it baseball season yet? If not, I'll stick to 46, 49, 75 and a few others I check in with here and there.

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I'm a Sirius guy, and it's one of the best investments I've made. Makes my numerous long road trips much more bearable.

Question: I remember reading somewhere (here, maybe?) that satellite radio (XM, Sirius) are in difficult financial straits and something drastic might be on the horizon. Anyone know anything about that?

12. Music wise, Sirius is exponentially better than XM.

Draft saved Draft deleted