1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

XM harware question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Sep 24, 2012.

1. accguy

accguy Member

All right, I got in my car this morning and my XM unit was dead. Wouldn't start. Tried different cig lighters in two different vehicles and the thing wouldn't start.

It is an Audiovox unit that is probably seven or eight years old, so I clearly got my money's worth out of it.

So I'm going to get another unit and I'm looking for advice.

Do I go with a portable unit that can also be used with headphones when outside? Anybody tried this newer fancy Lynx unit?

Any advice?

2. I have the xmp3, which actually allows you to pause live content. It's pretty good.

However, I usually find myself using the app on my phone a lot more often. If you have good cell service and a generous data plan, it might be a better option.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's what I do. The only time I'm needing to use a portable unit with headphones is when I'm doing yard work or on the treadmill.

For car use, I went to an car audio place and had them install the cheapest option they could get their hands on. I think the total was about $150 installed, and that was 4-5 years ago. It's still going strong.

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

My wife and I each got the XM Roady2 (made by Delphi) when we subscribed to XM in 2005. Hers just died back in April, while mine is still going strong. They're pretty durable little units but they're not made anymore (the Onyx is the current equivalent). If you can find one on eBay or Amazon, I'd recommend it for use in your car.

But to echo others' recommendation, the smartphone app also works quite well -- depending on the phone you have and what you want to use it for. The iPhone/iPad version is excellent but the BlackBerry version is an absolute joke. The iPhone/iPad version has dedicated play-by-play feeds for each NFL and MLB team (the in-car systems only allow you to listen to the home team's broadcast), but for the most part isn't allowed to stream college play-by-play (like the in-car systems do). The BlackBerry app is no longer supported by SiriusXM and hasn't been updated since 2009.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Call Sirius/XM. Tell them exactly what happened. Then tell them you're thinking about canceling. You might get a free unit sent your way or even a heavy discount on subscription.

Draft saved Draft deleted