1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

XFL went under. Filed for Chapter 11. Now what?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Apr 14, 2020.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I wrote features for the XFL this year and have yet to be paid for two invoices that were supposed to be in processing. Am I screwed? This is chump change to them but three month's rent for me. Any help would be much appreciated!

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I'm sorry, man. I hope it works out for you. I have no clue what protocol or legal responsibility is here. Hopefully someone else can answer, but I send you positive and hopeful thoughts that everything works out.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Surely one of our regulars with legal knowledge will chime in. You might have to get in line alongside other creditors, but absolutely get in line.

4. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Well, at least one player got signed to an NFL team. Just like Rod Smart aka HeHateMe from the original XFL.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering how gung ho Vince was about this thing. I'm almost wondering if he thinks he can mitigate his losses with some COVID relief. It's the smart play.

Readallover likes this.
  6. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Yes, he can save face by blaming this redux failure on COVID and he won't have to face another interview with Bob Costas and risk a stroke.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure he was "all in" - but given the trendline of attendance/viewership - it probably would have been a coin-flip if it came back for a second year. This way I'm sure he'll get some federal relief considering he's sleeping with a Trump official.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

This isn’t my specialty, but earned wages and unpaid independent contractor services up to a certain amount are priority claims in a bankruptcy, so you should get paid at least some amount before others. You may be required to call what is called a proof of claim so I would contact the bankruptcy court.

GBNF likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Didn’t Vince say he had enough cash to float the league for two seasons? Not that he ever would exaggerate... I could totally see him pulling this stunt. His business is “essential.”

10. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I heard back from the Dir. of Finance who recommended this same step - filing a claim - which I just completed. I'm excited to get paid out in 2025. Appreciate your advice.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It sucks, especially because there obviously enough money from the McMahon family to pay everyone off. And even though it is what I do for a living, the legal fees get paid first and take away money from legitimate creditors.

12. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

Did the piece run online? If they used your work without permission (i.e., without payment), you can assert copyright infringement and damages up to $150,000 per incident. It'll make their A/P and legal dept.'s pay attention. You won't get $150K but I bet you'll get paid a lot sooner than 2025.

Draft saved Draft deleted