1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

X Games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LazyReporter, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Where do those stories on daredevil motorcyclists who jump the Grand Canyon, fountains at Caesars Palace and the like run in the paper? Either the entertainment section of the paper or the Offbeat story section.

The X Games are just ESPN's way to kill the summer months of programming. If you run X Games results, does this also mean you ran Great Outdoors Games agate/story too? Don't believe the hype!

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

We've ignored them since ESPN decided to shove them down our throats.

In all that time we've received no phone calls, letters or e-mails criticizing us for not keeping up with the times and providing coverage of the events.

Not one.

None.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Well good for you.
    Most of the people who care to watch the X-games don't even get the newspaper; well their parents might but I'm pretty sure they don't open the sports section hoping for a feature story on Tom Penny or Kr3w riders...They can get that online throughTransworldSkateboarding minutes after it's over pick up a mag catered to skating.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Thanks for proving my point. ::)

I was responding to a poster who criticized newspapers for not changing with the times and giving X-Game fans the coverage they allegedly long for in the newspaper.

Now you say the folks who watch the X-Games don't get the paper. So I ask you: If that is true, why should we run stories/results in the paper?

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I was sort of proving your point in a way. Since I'm pretty bias towards the action-sports world (and pretty much hate espn and anything they try to do with snowboarding, skating..) anything I try to do is going to come off like a fanboy loser. However, I could care less if the results were in newspapers. I'd rather get them online after an event if I missed it or even the tape delay.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Actually, thanks for proving my point. You're absolutely right, other than me, nobody who watches the X Games reads the paper. I guess trying to bring in new readers should be left up to the ad staff. ::)

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

It has been my experience that whenever fans of a particular sport -- auto racing, swimming, snowmobile racing, X-country skiing, grappling, biking, etc., don't see the coverage they feel their sport warrants, they call, write and generally voice their concerns as loudly as possible.

Sometimes you respond. Other times you don't. Professional rassling used to be widly popular in my area of the nation -- long before ESPN was born. There was a time we didn't run anything on it. Those people complained and we responded, in minor fashion, but enough to satisfy their concerns.

You're tellilng me that today, when most people in this country will piss and moan about anything that doesn't meet their demands immediately, the thousands of X-games fans who don't see anything in our paper are sitting back quietly accepting the fact that they are in the minority?

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'm not disagreeing with you on that point. Please re-read my last post.

9. is it over yet?

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Not sure. The schedule wasn't in today's paper. 8)

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Silly dragon ... tricks are for kids.

That said, the head-to-head (nonjudged) events are sports and the end of the X Games Rally yesterday was crazy good.

Would putting them in the paper attract those new readers? Probably not. They're already heavily biased in favor of the Internet. And they already watched it and don't necessarily want to read about it. They may have already moved on.

If they exist.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I don't see it as a bad thing to put in the paper. We've been running World Series of Poker stories and if we got room to run WSOP, then by damn we have room to run X-Games - even if it's just a wrapup of the final day of competition. I like the X-Games. It's once a year. There's always good art from it that can run big. If nothing else, it lets the older readers see what the young'uns are up too these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted