1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

X-Games: Is that it?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 6, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I seem to remember the X-Games as being a little bigger in the past than they are now. No more in-line skating, street luge or wake boarding. I don't think I saw a single female competitor the whole weekend and I'm not sure how I feel about the addition of cars and motorcycles to the mix - though I thought the races were fun to watch.
    Aside from the dude falling 40-feet and losing his shoes, it wasn't that memorable.

2. Wait, are they over? Seriously, are they done?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Done for this year.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Didn't they used to last like 8-10 days? I haven't watched them in probably 5-6 years, but it seems now they last just a few days.

5. Good, then I don't have to worry about agate any more. Not unhappy in the least

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I used to really enjoy the X-Games. I think they lasted 10 days and events like the street luge, downhill inline racing and even sky surfing were a lot of fun. The halfpipe competitions were really cool, too.

This year, I didn't even know they were going on until I happened to look up at the TV screen in a bar just in time to watch the one guy fall 40 feet and lose his shoes.

I think part of the problem could be that while it was cool initially for all these guys to get some national TV exposure, at heart, most of them aren't all about being mainstream. Most of them like and cultivate their rebel images and performing for ESPN kind of directly contradicts that.

I'd be curious to know if some of the top skate boarders, inline skaters, etc., are skipping the event now. Maybe I'm way off.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It's been four days for a few years now.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How do you know if you're a top in-line skater or skateboarder? I mean, who tells you that? Your mom?

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The street luge was one of the coolest events ever, in any multi-sport competition. I like how when the street luge was done, they'd convrt it to a down hill skateboarding course and you have these guys barely able to stay on their boards going down this steep f*cking hill at 60 mph and forced to deal with sharp turns, three abreast. huge wipeouts were guaranteed.

Basically what i think happened is that when the big names like TOny Hawk and so on retired, nobody gave a crap anymore.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

YEAH! FUCK THE OLYMPICS!

Miracle on Ice, my ass. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted