1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WyoSports (Cheyenne) Sports Bureau Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Football and men's basketball both finished last in the MWC last season. Volleyball is decent and on the way up. Women's hoops went NIT.

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

If only Wyoming didn't play such a killer schedule: Texas, Boise State, TCU, Utah and BYU.

3. Matt Stephens

No more BYU and Utah and TCU is only for one more season.

4. Matt Stephens

Props to Robert Gagliardi for his recent APSE accolades.

5. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Any idea what the previous writer in this position did as far as college stuff goes? I know it says there is a preps focus but a D1 college has a wide variety of sports.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The Mountain West is a rapidly changing conference. BYU, Utah, TCU out. Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State in. May have lost a little luster nationally. But I just don't think Wyoming has the budget to be really competitive over the long haul. A good season might be .500 and middle of the pack. A bad season might find you in the basement.

7. Matt Stephens

Dave Christensen is a great coach, but trying to flip to a spread offense from what Joe Glenn was running overnight is virtually impossible. Wyoming won the New Mexico Bowl in his first season, but year two wasn't so kind. Also, two-year starting QB Austyn Carta-Samuels transferred after last season, which means the Pokes will likely go with a freshman once again in 2012.

In other news, Wyoming just hired former head coach Larry Shyatt to once again lead the Cowboys on the court at the Dome of Doom.

8. Did Carta-Samuels end up at a 1-A or 1-AA school?

9. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Any word on this one?

10. Currently reviewing packets. Previous occupant moved over to features. Another endorsement of Gagliardi. Writer won't do much with colleges, maybe a sidebar every so often. Rodeo is a club sport, and as with the non-revenue intercollegiate sports the papers rely on university PR for that stuff.

Laramie is better than Cheyenne, but Cheyenne (like any place) is what you make it; for a state capital, there is a disturbing lack of good local restaurants. You can get along on $25K a year, as long as you forgo HBO in your cable plan. It's 100 miles from Denver, which is nothing after all my time in the middle of nowhere.

And I've been WAY worse places than Laramie and Cheyenne. Casper and Gillette come immediately to mind. It's not terribly progressive there but, I repeat, any place is what you make it. Make up your own mind.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I rise in defense of Casper. It is far superior to Green River and Rawlins (Anong's aside).

12. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Pick me! Pick me!

Draft saved Draft deleted