1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wyoming beat writer — Casper Star-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jul 24, 2018.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Casper Star-Tribune, Wyoming's leading newspaper, is looking for a versatile and motivated sports journalist to contribute to our talented staff.

Few newspapers of our size offer the growth opportunities you'll find at the Casper Star-Tribune.

Your beat will be to cover Division I athletics at the University of Wyoming in Laramie, primarily football and basketball. In the offseason, you’ll also contribute to our coverage of rodeo – Casper hosts the week-long College National Finals Rodeo each June – and other state-wide sporting events.

This beat has helped propel former employees into big-time gigs at ESPN, the Seattle Times and CBS Sports, to name a few.

We’re looking for a well-rounded reporter who is comfortable in all facets of covering a beat, including breaking news, writing in-depth feature stories and developing long-term projects. The ideal candidate will tell stories that go beyond the X’s and O’s, update our audience on the latest recruiting news and be comfortable using social media and multimedia.

Our most recent beat writer covered UW graduate and current NFL quarterback Josh Allen’s ascent, a subject that received national media attention and resulted in our writer covering the NFL Combine and NFL Draft. He also traveled to the NCAA Wrestling Championships as well as every football road game, many basketball road games and annual conference media days.

The Star-Tribune was named Wyoming’s best daily newspaper this year. Our newsroom is hard-working but fun, and we take pride in being the most prominent media voice in the Cowboy State. Our sports section has a long history of consistently winning APSE awards, having won 25 section/website/writing awards since 2010. This past year we were named a Top 10 section for the Under 30,000 circulation category in Daily Section and our UW beat writer earned Top 10 awards for column writing, game story and projects.

This position is based in Laramie, about two hours south of our newsroom. You’ll live and play among Wyoming’s outdoor splendor — Laramie is a charming college town about two hours north of Denver that offers a wide range of outdoor activities.

Experienced journalists are preferred for this position, but new journalists are welcome to apply.

We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our website at trib.com. Learn about our parent company at www.lee.net.

Apply online at www.trib.com/workhere. Upload a cover letter, resume and five to seven clips.

2. ChancellorM

ChancellorM New Member

Anyone know anyone over here or anything about their timeline with this hire? With football practice starting next week I've got to imagine there's some hurry to make a hire.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That being the case, if you're thinking of applying, time is of the essence.

4. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I was just gonna ask, have you heard anything yet?

5. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

I'm out of the industry now, but this job has been a launch pad for several careers. The paper has changed quite a bit even in the past 2.5 years since I left. I'd guess the pay still sucks, and it's Lee Enterprises (though Casper has unionized in the past year), but Laramie is an awesome town and you still travel to most road games. And in Wyoming, UW football and basketball is the top beat. Your stories are centerpiece more times than not, and A1 stories come around. The year I was there, we won 10 APSE awards in under-30,000 circulation, including a Triple Crown of top 10 in dailies, special sections and website.

Previous beat writers:
    • Brandon Foster (becoming paper's managing editor)
    • Me (black sheep, left the industry, but I enjoyed my time there and had a good run)
    • Mike Vorel (went on to South Bend Tribune to cover Notre Dame football, now at Seattle Times covering Seahawks)
    • Ben Frederickson (went on to Knoxville News Sentinel to cover Tennessee, now is a sports columnist at St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
    • Eric Schmoldt (became managing editor of ProRodeo Sports News, now sports editor of his hometown paper in Janesville, Wisconsin)
    • Austin Ward (also went to Knoxville, then covered the Big 10 for ESPN.com, Land of 10 and now Letterman Row)
    • Ryan Thorburn (eventually covered Colorado and pro sports for the Boulder Daily Camera, now covering Ducks football for Eugene Register-Guard)
    I'm missing several others, but find me another paper of this size with this sort of pedigree. The Star-Tribune will always hold a special place in my heart. Best of luck to all applicants.

Draft saved Draft deleted