1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wyoming beat reporter at Casper Star-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gus Bode, Mar 20, 2013.

1. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

I'm also a Creglow fan

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

The CST was my first gig, and in some ways, my favorite. Absolutely awesome staff when I was there, tremendous leadership -- David Mayberry was my boss, and a fantastic one -- and opportunities to WRITE. Of course the pay stinks and it's Wyoming -- which for a Southern California guy was a curse, but for those already accustomed to the country, could be a blessing -- but for an ambitious young writer, this is an awesome stop.
    The guys from my time ended up at ESPN and running a magazine (and now an SE), and I've moved up (and on, but that's another story).

In short - great gig. Go get it.

3. rcreeger

rcreeger New Member

I'm guessing this postition got filled already?

4. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

In less than two weeks? That would be shocking. In my limited experience with these things, they never move that quick, unless there was already a great candidate in the loop and the posting was merely a formality. I don't believe that to be the case with this job.

5. Gus Bode

Gus Bode New Member

The position has not been filled.

6. boxingnut4324

boxingnut4324 Member

I'm a New Englander, but this job really interests me. Would I have my work cut out for me by applying from across the country and would the paper help me with housing in some way?

7. rcreeger

rcreeger New Member

Only reason I ask is because I don't see it on the website anymore.

8. Yes, you would have an uphill battle compared to candidates that are closer. No, you would not get help with housing. There isn't a shortage in Laramie.

9. Gus Bode

Gus Bode New Member

HR took the position down because we had incredible turnout in interest. Had well over 100 applicants.

There is some relocation money but not a tremendous amount.

10. Gus Bode

Gus Bode New Member

We've made a hire in this position.

I greatly appreciate the huge amount of interest in the position, and there were many qualified applicants. To those who applied and didn't get the job, I wish you the best of luck.

-- Zack Creglow

Draft saved Draft deleted