1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wyoming beat, Casper Star-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gus Bode, May 30, 2012.

1. Gus Bode

Gus Bode New Member

If you have questions, email me at zack.creglow@trib.com. ...

Wyoming's leading newspaper is looking for a versatile, motivated sports journalist to complete a talented staff.

Few newspapers our size offer the growth opportunities you'll find at the Casper Star-Tribune. We have former employees covering major colleges in Illinois, North Carolina and Michigan, pro teams in Denver and another writing for ESPN.com, just to name a few. And others have moved up to managerial positions.

Your beat will be to cover Division I athletics at the University of Wyoming, primarily football, basketball and wrestling, while also helping spearhead our rodeo coverage. Casper hosts the College National Finals Rodeo each June and we also cover many of Wyoming’s top professional rodeo, including Frontier Days. You will also assist with high school sports, as needed.

Our statewide circulation of 26,000 makes us the most prominent media voice in the Cowboy State. Our sports section won six APSE awards in 2012, including top-10 finishes in Sunday and Daily. Our reporters received top-10 finishes in beat reporting, breaking news and feature writing. We're looking for someone to help us build on that excellence.

You'll need a bachelor's degree, excellent verbal skills, a willingness to improve as a writer and reporter both for online and print and strong attention to detail. A background that includes some news reporting is preferable but not required.

Meanwhile, you'll live and play amid Wyoming's outdoor splendor. You’ll be located about two hours north of Denver and situated between the Snowy and Laramie mountain ranges. You’re also an afternoon’s drive from the Tetons and Yellowstone.

We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our web site at trib.com. Learn about our parent company at www.lee.net.

Apply online at www.trib.com/workhere and forward a cover letter explaining why you're the right person for the job, along with your resume, reference list and work samples to:

Zack Creglow

Sports Editor

Casper Star-Tribune

zack.creglow@trib.com

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Some good people have come out of here, as the ad states. Austin Ward, who just left Knoxville for ESPN, was the previous guy in this job. The paper does a really nice job and the Pokes are the biggest story in sports. This is a really attractive job, assuming you can handle living in Laramie. It's a beautiful place and I've only had good experiences there, but I can see how it wouldn't be for everybody.

Oh, and good luck to Eric Schmoldt, who is leaving. Really nice guy who did good stuff and took on the rodeo duties with ease. Dude is a natural in a cowboy hat.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Where is Schmoldt off to?

4. partain

partain Member

He's the new managing editor of the ProRodeo Sports News -- the PRCA's official magazine, so it's a good thing he's a "natural in a cowboy hat."

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sounds as if you'd spend a lot of time in Laramie, but Isn't the job is based in Casper?

(And given the choice, I'd much rather live in Laramie than Casper.)

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I believe Schmoldt lived in Laramie. You really need to be in Laramie full time to do this job. Casper is three hours away.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

More than that in the winter.

My understanding is the person bases in Laramie. Might do some high school events down in the southern part of the state, given how geographically spread out Wyoming is. Not sure if or how much they travel with the teams.

8. Gus Bode

Gus Bode New Member

The reporter is based in Laramie, and Eric traveled to the majority of away games with men's basketball/football. It will remain the same.

9. Pcotton

Pcotton New Member

Being in Greeley, Colorado for the last three years with one to go, I've been through Wyoming several times and I hear about UW sports a lot. If I could, I'd definitely love to take/apply for this job. One more year until graduation...

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Eric did a great job covering Wyoming. If I didn't just take a new job, I'd probably go after this. I can think of several good candidates for this position who live within an hour.

11. nmsports

nmsports Member

I've done a lot of freelance work for this shop and I can't be more impressed with the staff. Hard-working, professional. Eric leaves some pretty big boots to fill. Good luck to him and the successful applicant. Might even throw (hey, my bad) my sombrero in the ring for this one.

12. Rawbot

Rawbot Member

I wouldn't through it too far if I were you.

Draft saved Draft deleted