1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wynalda tell hime Rome to suck his ****!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Slydell, Apr 4, 2007.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

That's the thing that I always find funny. There are plenty of sports that people don't like. I don't like golf or auto racing. Some people don't like baseball or hockey.

But when people don't like soccer, they talk about it with this intensity. They don't just dislike or not watch soccer, they HATE it. They HATE everything about it and everybody that watches it. It's like they're personally offended by the notion that people actually enjoy the sport.

I don't get it.

Just remember (I've said this before): Somewhere there's a guy in Brazil watching the US feed of ESPN wondering what kind of loser watches poker on TV.

As far as whether soccer can be successful, um, MLS has been around for 12 years! Popular as NFL, baseball or college football and basketball? No. But so what?

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Very good ... That was funny. Take a bow, sir.

3. Boy, that Klosterman thing is five kinds of ignorant.
    Go ask the late goalie from Colombia if he thinks there's no way you can fuck up in soccer.

4. KP

KP Active Member

It was the defender, not the goalkeeper, that was gunned down.

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Here's the thing with Klosterman: When he's right, he's very effective. When he swings and misses, you can feel the breeze 3,000 miles away. None of the "you can't fuck up in soccer" makes any sense. On a very young level, sure, it's a structureless game, but so is football. Chase around the kid with the ball, repeat. But once kids actually get serious about playing the game, just as in baseball and other sports, they start to improve. Yes, you can still slack off on the field and not get noticed for a short period of time, but certain big men in the NBA have shown that soccer hasn't cornered the market on that.

As for "personally loathing" the sport, that's just a ridiculously asinine and ignorant stance to take. You don't have to like it, but to hate a sport for existing makes you look like an utter fool.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Just to completely change the topic, here's that Colombian goalkeeper (Rene Higuita) from that team performing the craziest move you'll ever see on a soccer field: El Scorpio!

Must watch.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you logged on to this thread just to say soccer sucks, you might be a troll.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

1) they never played it 2) they don't understand it 3) it's a sport for swarthy foreigners

There's a similar attitude about hockey in parts of the U.S. (well except for the "swarthy foreigner" bit.) :)

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Except for the swarthy part.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We both edited my post at the same time. :)

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

As an aside, I think Wonder Woman should be sc's permanent avatar. Man law?

Draft saved Draft deleted