1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WWL Shaking Up College Football Announcing Teams

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportshack06, Jun 28, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Gottfried's health issues.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

"Also, ESPN analyst Mike Gottfried will work ESPNU primetime telecasts with Dave Armstrong."
    That's perhaps the saddest line in the whole story.... Gottfried and Franklin were a great team, but Mike's health issues have clearly taken something out of him. Too bad ESPN hasn't shown him more respect.

3. icoverbucks

icoverbucks Member

McDonough/Spielman on Friday may be done to get people to actually watch those wretched Friday night games (Big East third tier, C-USA, WAC, MAC, etc.).

4. Speedway

Speedway Member

They are wretched, but since they are the only game on Friday nights they end up pulling viewers.

Didn't Bob Wischusen do the Friday night games last year?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They just can't resist ol Musberger can they?

Remember that old ESPN football crew of Jim Simpson and Kevin Kiley? Maybe, oh, 20-25 years ago? Those were good days. ESPN put on just about any damn team back then.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not as bad a choice as Ray Scott

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I guess this means College Gameday will always be where the Saturday night national game is for Herbstreit's sake. That means no South Bend for USC-Notre Dame, right?

8. formulacola

formulacola Member

I'm in agreement. I watch a lot of Big Ten football, and I thought last year, Spielman (once you can get past the forced urgency of his delivery) was the best color guy out there for a Big Ten game, from Purdue-Minnesota to Ohio State-Michigan. And I've always liked McDonough, whether he was CBS's top national baseball guy, or the ESPN college noon guy.

9. chester

chester Member

Not necessarily. I seem to remember at least once (maybe when Gameday was at Auburn-Florida) that Herbstreit had to leave right after the show to catch a plane for the Michigan-Penn State game that night in Pennsylvania.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yeah, he did that once or twice. But tough to do on a regular basis, I'd imagine. So, more or less, Gameday = ABC game of the week. Which is kind of too bad for the SEC and their CBS deal.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

You can deny it all you want, but Brent gives it a big-game presence and feel.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can hear the ridicule already, but I'm a big Musberger fan in football (not so much auto racing, he's a fish outta water there). He is a big-game guy. And he won't shy away from talking about the point spread. I'll take him over the younger play-by-play guys who are not distinctive at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted