1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WWL Shaking Up College Football Announcing Teams

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportshack06, Jun 28, 2007.

1. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Basically keeping the same crews together, just moving them around on times and networks it appears.

http://tvweek.com/news/2007/06/abc_espn_shake_up_college_foot.php

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Biggest change is the Saturday Night Football crew with Herbstreit taking over as the only analyst. That moves former ND coach Bob Davie to ESPN2 games after one season in prime-time as part of a 3-man booth. ABC national telecasts (D-IA) to ESPN2 (D-II) telecasts. Ouch.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice to see Ron Franklin out of the doghouse and in primetime on ABC

4. Speedway

Speedway Member

Are you sure the espn2 saturday night games are D-II? I don't think so.

Glad to see Larry Coker landed somewhere.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

ESPN doesn't show D-II or D-III games. [blue]Heaven forbid ESPN gets in the way of these bigwig assholes getting a big time payday[/blue]

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Uh, from network TV to cable TV is a bit of a drop, me thinks. And The Deuce is second string to ESPN, is it not?
    Didn't mean to say ESPN covers D-II game. I believe it was an analogy.

7. chester

chester Member

I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but I actually liked the McDonough/Spielman crew that did the noon game on ESPN. Why would you put them on what figures to be a less-watched telecast than the one they were already on?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I like Franklin on Saturday night ACC/SEC games. His voice just seems perfect for under-the-lights southern football.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Franklin was the man for the SEC Saturday night specials, ( a poor man's Keith Jackson) Mike Patrick just doesn't do it for me, he's too corporate-sounding. And I thought Bob Davie was a great analyst, I don't understand the move.
    McDonough tends to sound condescending in his play-by-play. I'm not looking for Joe Homer, but he rarely seems like he is excited about being at the game.
    Anybody have any inside dope on all the moving around of announcing crews that ABC/ESPN has done? I see people being elevated and others moved down (MNF as well), is it just the big boss making changes because he can? I've always felt crews that have worked together longer are better than crews that are new.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who gets the privlege of working with Holly Rowe?

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

I would much rather listen to Herbstreit than Davie. Good move on their part. Sounds like the GameDay crew will remain the same. That's the best news.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Ah, for the days of actually watching GameDay ...

Draft saved Draft deleted